Too much water flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayesha97

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gal tank and have two powerheads. One is a Aqua Clear 402 (inherited from a coworker and can pump 270 gal/hr) and then I just purchased a rotating Powersweep 214 (max 160 gal/hr). Is this too much for my little tank? I have some small featherduster like organisms on my live rock and they are swaying like mad!

I have the larger of the two powerheads on the left back side, about 3/4 of the way down the tank facing the center of the tank. The smaller rotating powerhead is about a quarter of the way up on the right hand side of the tank.

In the way of livestock, I have some hermits, snails, an emerald crab and a spiny urchin. I just changed out the crushed coral bottom and am giving everything time to adjust before I add the fishies. :D

Thanks a bunch!

I would point the aqua clear closer to the top and point it towards the top and put the other one on the opposite side.

I agree with putting it towards the top and making the surface moving more to break the tension so gases can escape. The 2nd power head in the other direction near the bottom with take care of the rest of the tank. Surface agitation is so important in a tank. If everything moves too quickly those filter feeder won't have a chance catching anything.

Back
Top Bottom