Tool for Rock Scraping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Live Rock came with some kind of encrusting Red Plant on it. When it grows thick, it practically looks like mushrooms---I can literally peel or siphon it off.
But if its not thick its very hard to get off. I was thinking of getting some kind of Brush at Home Depot that has metal bristles for heavy-duty scraping.
Is this OK to use on Live Rock?

Dont know what it could be but it most likely is not bad. Maybe you can post a pic of it.

I dont think the plant itself is that bad. The Marine Biologist service guy at the LFS didnt think it was a problem. It just kind of grows over the coraline, and the coraline is much more pleasing to the eye.
This stuff looks like rust-colored seaweed.

Could be one of the forms of red turf algae. I gave up trying to rid my tank of it. Turbo snails are known to eat it, but they get large and knock corals off the rock. Tangs and rabbit fish are supposed to eat it too. My sailfin tang, foxface and hipp tang all nip at it and keep it somewhat under control. It's not spreading, but neither is it retreating. I put my turbo snails in the sump to stop having to glue one or more corals back in place every day.

I know its not a totally bad thing, but I would like to take the oppurtunity to scrape as much of it away as I can while I`m transferring the reef to another tank.

Are those metal-bristle brushes OK to use on live Rock?

Or should I just leave the stuff alone since its been part of my reef-chemistry for 2 years? Maybe I should preserve as much "sameness" as possible when making the switch?

(from 65 to 120 Gallon Reef)

IMO metal-bristle brushes will do too much damage and if the bristles come loose they may end up in your tank. I would use a plastic brush instead of metal. Like a kitchen pot scrubber (new of course).

i have stuff that sounds the same, i always thought it was a type of cyanobacteria

cmor1701d sounds like he is on target with his algae theory. Thats pretty close to what the marine biologist at my LFS said. I think Cyanobacteria is that red slimy stuff thats starts to cover the sand. The stuff in my tank is mostly on Rocks. It peals like a sheet and retains a solid shape when separated from the rock.

I wouldn't use metal. Can you put it at the bottom of your rock pile, starve it of light or turn it upside down, so it may possibly die off? Personally, I like the macros, they tend to be great for nutrient export.

You could try to cook the rock to rid it of that stuff. I've been toying with that idea for a while. I just need to find time to start a project like that.
Cooking LR involves moving it around in some Brute tubs withe heaters and PH's but no light. There is a method to this, that I do not have on hand at the moment. I can look it up later.

Back
Top Bottom