Top Off Units?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just finished setting up my sump and decided to add a top off unit. Do any of you guys know if their is a difference between any of the units and should I look for anything specific while buying one? I see their are a couple of different models on liveaquaria.com, should I get one of those or do you guys use different ones that are just as good? TIA...........

I use the JBJ Auto top-off and a maxijet 1200 in a 37g fw resorvoir mounted under my stand. I fill the reservoir about every 2 weeks. It fills my sump/fuge.

Can't compare it as I've never used anything else.

Thanks for the reply. Do I need anything else besides the ATO, the pump, and a container for water? When I was looking at some sites for the unit they mentioned something about a float switch. Does this come with the unit or do I have to buy this as well? TIA...........

Nice unit but if you are a DIY'er, you can make one for a 1/4 of that price. 2 floats, a relay and an extension cord is what I have been using for over 3 years.

I have been using the JBJ ATO for a few months with no problems. Wish I DIY'd though...much cheaper.

ellisz said:
Nice unit but if you are a DIY'er, you can make one for a 1/4 of that price. 2 floats, a relay and an extension cord is what I have been using for over 3 years.
El do you have pics of your system ATO

El do you have pics of your system ATO

I can get some. I forget to mention that I also use a DC power supply to keep from having a 110v source tied direct to the tank.

I use 2 floats that can be found on Ebay. I wired these in line to a cheap extension cord. I have a PH in the top off container that plugs into the extension cord. The relay is used to connect the 2 power sources. The float triggers the 9v power source to trigger the relay which turns on the PH in the top off tank.

I too have had the JBJ ATO running for about 6 months. I had to modify the sensor cause a snail got in there and got it stuck on. Just hot glued a piece of plastic over the bottom.

Aqua Medic SP 3000 Niveaumat is less than $90.00. I bought it and had problems with the float being too sensitive, it would cause the motor to stutter and stay on which came close to over flowing my sump. I resolved the issue with a cheap timer set for 1 hour intervals four times a day. For the money and the very basic setup of the device I would recommend it. It only does about 3/4GPH but it keeps up with my 75G just fine. Was the best money I have spent in this hobby to date. I just fill up the bucket twice a week and no worries.

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom