Top-Off Water Practices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I keep hearing people talk about their top-off water, and I don't keep any. I figured that keeping mixed water would become a problem unless you kept a PH in it full time to keep it oxygenated and such. I figured it might stagnate after a while as well. My tank doesn't get much evaporation, but I do lose a significant amount of water to acclimation. Could a few people post their procedures and maybe I'll incorporate some of it into mine? :)

I think there is some confusion, top-off water is used to replace evaporation and top-off water is FW, preferrably RO/DI water. Water used for water changes and or replacing water lost to acclimation should be SW mixed to the SG of your tank. I try to keep 5-10 g on hand in case of an emergency waterchange. It can be stored in a cool dark place, just seal it loosely, a couple hours before you need to use it, add either a powerhead or an airstone to circulate and aerate it ;)

Top Off water is fresh unsalinated (preferabley RO) water used to replace evaporation.

The only time salinated water should be added to the tank is when it is removed for water changes or replacemnet from acclimation as you already pointed out.

Salt water can be mixed up in advance and stored providing it's properly aerated with a PH and at the proper temp.

Cheers
Steve

Forgot to mention prior to useing the stored water, you should adjust the SG by adding FW for any lost to evaporation ;)

Back
Top Bottom