Top off water storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ow do you all store your top off water for your tank and keep it heated? Cartons? Tubs? ATO? i need ideas for myself and how to keep my water up to temp

You don't need to keep your top off water heated. Normally, you're adding very little top off water to your system...it doesn't affect temp. Even more so with an ATO.

You can use a rubbermaid container or even a cheap 5g bucket /w lid as your ATO reservoir if you go that route. Really though, whatever can fit in the space you have will do fine.

I've yet to install an ATO. Currently I just keep RODI water in a 5g bucket in my laundry sink (where the rodi system is) and just top off twice a week with the full 5 gallons. I just dump it into my sump. I've got a 125g DT with a 40g sump. Temp never went down as a result.

Wow awesome!! Ill store it in buckets in a closet i guess. Problem is, my tank is small, 30 gallons, so it could change the temp a bit

I really don't think so. If you're adding it as needed you should be fine. Try it a few times and see if the temp changes at all.

I have two 10g tanks that I use as my ATO Reservoir. I have an aqualifter split to pull equally from both... and somehow it does. My tank evaps a LOT... though my reservoirs don't... and they don't have lids. Guess that's the advantage of being in a closet behind the tank.

AquaRick said:
I really don't think so. If you're adding it as needed you should be fine. Try it a few times and see if the temp changes at all.

Will do! I think ill store in milk cartons;)

mfdrookie516 said:
I have two 10g tanks that I use as my ATO Reservoir. I have an aqualifter split to pull equally from both... and somehow it does. My tank evaps a LOT... though my reservoirs don't... and they don't have lids. Guess that's the advantage of being in a closet behind the tank.

That is odd! I guess the closet definitly restricts the evaporation.

I guess I forgot the mention the main point in my post. An aquarium will be much more space efficient in most situations than a bucket, etc. A 5g aquarium from walmart would probably be the most space saving design you could use.

Yeah, use whatever fits the space you have as best as possible. But in the end, your top off container is just a container; no need to spend lots of $$ on it if you don't want to.

I'm using a plastic file box I got for $7 from target as my ATO reservoir. It was the right shape and just barely fits in the stand with my sump. I bet I lose 6 to 8 gallons per week from my 75. Unfortunately, my reservoir holds just over 3 gallons, so I have to add to that twice a week.

AquaRick said:
Yeah, use whatever fits the space you have as best as possible. But in the end, your top off container is just a container; no need to spend lots of $$ on it if you don't want to.

I have some empty 10 g tanks, but i am looking at small containers i can jist pick up and dump in. No resevoir for me

Rutrag said:
I'm using a plastic file box I got for $7 from target as my ATO reservoir. It was the right shape and just barely fits in the stand with my sump. I bet I lose 6 to 8 gallons per week from my 75. Unfortunately, my reservoir holds just over 3 gallons, so I have to add to that twice a week.

Ouch, i think you need to get a bigger resavoir and store in in the closet!!

I have a 75 gal tank with a 30 gal sump and I am using a 7 gallon reservoir that I got from wal mart with a JBJ top off and I loosing about 6 gal a wk overall it wrks great !!!!!!!

My tank is a 20gal long. I have my RO/DI line coming through the bathroom wall and plumbed into a 20gal. tote with a float valve in it. Just have to remember to shut off RO unit after making water or waste water keeps going down the drain. I don't heat the top off and have never had an issue with temp in the tank dropping.

Rather than picking up an dumping, it would be much easier to use an aqualifter or small pump - even if not hooked to an autotop off, you could just plug it in when you want to fill to the sump.

I really liked how mine turned out - I am just using a 10 gal water tank made for an RV or horse trailer. It is taller so the foot print is smaller than that of a 10 gal tank or the like... space was an issue for me. I spray painted it black to match my stand and the tower speaker that it sits behind, so most people don't even know it is there.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

My tank is a 20gal long. I have my RO/DI line coming through the bathroom wall and plumbed into a 20gal. tote with a float valve in it. Just have to remember to shut off RO unit after making water or waste water keeps going down the drain. I don't heat the top off and have never had an issue with temp in the tank dropping.

You could add an auto shut off valve for $9 that would shut the waste water off for you when the float valve shuts off the "good" water...
Auto Shut off Valve - English

Just took a look at that shut off valve. Thanks. Will definately look into getting that. Friday night I forgot to turn the RO unit off so waste ran all night.

I love the small tank solutions. When I was heading out of the country for a month I got a 45 gallon BRUTE container for top off. I hooked up the smalled MaxiJet to a JBJ ATO so my tank sitter didn't have to worry about. I also left her a few 5 gallons buckets in case my can ran dry. It holds about 3 weeks of water for my 125. To prevent the siphon effect I pump mine up to the corner overflow.
Just another idea for those with large tanks. BTW all BRUTE products are food grade, so after a couple of rinses they are great for aquarium use.

Gboy66 said:
Ouch, i think you need to get a bigger resavoir and store in in the closet!!

The closest closet is on the other side of the house from this tank and jam packed with coats, wrapping paper, games, my wife's collection of tote bags she never ever uses but won't get rid of, three five gallon buckets and a Python No Spill Clean 'n Fill. There's no room around the tank. I wish I could have a man cave fish room.

Maybe I'll win Mega Millions on Friday. . .

Rutrag said:
The closest closet is on the other side of the house from this tank and jam packed with coats, wrapping paper, games, my wife's collection of tote bags she never ever uses but won't get rid of, three five gallon buckets and a Python No Spill Clean 'n Fill. There's no room around the tank. I wish I could have a man cave fish room.

Maybe I'll win Mega Millions on Friday. . .

Dangit! Mega millions sounds good!

Back
Top Bottom