Top Off Water (TOW)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salty

Aquarium Advice Regular
:?: For almost three years now I have been adding plain old RO/DI water into my sump every day for top off. I add Kalk at night (10oz). Now I have been hearing locally that the LFS's in my area are saying you need to add some kind of buffer to the TOW, like Kent's R/O right or their Osmo Prep. Is this true?
On the other hand what about adding the Kalk and the TOW at the same time. I mean let's say I add a gallon of TOW a day. When I add that, mix the Kalk in that water and then add to the tank. WHat I am trying to ask is... What do some of you do when adding TOW and Kalk to your reefs?

From what I understand many people use kalk as their topoff water.

I have been using kalk as my top off water for about a month now on my 80 gal.

Your comment of adding 10 oz. of Kalk every night has me concerned. How are you adding it?

All of my topoff is limewater. This is the best way to use Kalk IMO.

As for the Buffer. Just say NO! ;) If you add buffer (and no Calcium) to your topoff water your water parameter will soon be out of balance and you Calcium level will stay too low to support corals.

Bang Guy said:
As for the Buffer. Just say NO! ;) If you add buffer (and no Calcium) to your topoff water your water parameter will soon be out of balance and you Calcium level will stay too low to support corals.

thumb.gif

reefrunner69 said:
Bang Guy said:

thumb.gif

See an article I posted in this very forum over the weekend on the alkinline/calcium relationship.

Ok its not really an article I wrote. More like one linked to another site.

Im lost, is TOW the water from the evaporation, do you just add some more SW? or do i add some chemical?

The kalk I am dosing is pre-mixed with RO/DI water. Its added overnight. I just wondered when I add my gallon of TOW a day could I just mix the kalk with that. This way the tank gets it TOW and its Kalk dose at once.

I am not worried about Calcium, because what I don't get from the Reefformer (Natureef's Kalk ) I get from the liquid Calcite (Natureef) I add once a week. Not to mention I closely monitor all my parameters.

TOW = Top Off Water

This is the water you replace do to evaporation. You NEVER add saltwater to replace evaporation as the salt does not evaporate only the water so adding saltwater will rase your salinity. That is about the only time yo uwould add it is if for some reason you wanted to bump your salinity up slowly.

Many people add kalk water as their top off water. Its fresh RO/DI water that has been mixed with kalk powder. Let sit for several hours for the kalk to mix and the excess to settle out of the solution. then it should be dripped into the sump or main tank.

d9hp:
TOW is top off water you add in place of evaporation. Your TOW should ONLY be freshwater. Adding saltwater will drive your Salinity/Gravity through the roof. I add my TOW daily to add to the stability of my Salinity.

where can i buy this kalk powder, and how much do you use per gallon, how much is a RO/DI unit or can i just use some distilled water from the LFS?

You can purchase kalk from the LFS, or you can buy ms wages pickling lime (it's the same thing), at the grocery store much cheaper.

Salty, I used the natureeef stuff for awhile myself. I didn't notice any difference (accept more work) adding all their chems, than what I am doing now. If you replace all your evap with a saturated kalk solution, you won't find the need for the additional ca additives.

Thanks Kevin I think I give that a try and let up on the pocket ($$$$) at the same time. :lol: Any particular brand of Kalk than the rest?

As noted above, you can buy any brand kalk from the LFS, or you can save money by buying Ms Wages pickling lime. The difference in quality is negligible IMO. If you can't find the pickling lime in the grocery store or at walmart, yahoo sells it in their online store. If you've never used it before, just do a search with Kalkwasser or pickling lime and you should find several threads.

Back
Top Bottom