Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2002, 03:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Top Off Water (TOW)

For almost three years now I have been adding plain old RO/DI water into my sump every day for top off. I add Kalk at night (10oz). Now I have been hearing locally that the LFS's in my area are saying you need to add some kind of buffer to the TOW, like Kent's R/O right or their Osmo Prep. Is this true?
On the other hand what about adding the Kalk and the TOW at the same time. I mean let's say I add a gallon of TOW a day. When I add that, mix the Kalk in that water and then add to the tank. WHat I am trying to ask is... What do some of you do when adding TOW and Kalk to your reefs?

Old 11-18-2002, 09:44 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
From what I understand many people use kalk as their topoff water.

I have been using kalk as my top off water for about a month now on my 80 gal.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
Your comment of adding 10 oz. of Kalk every night has me concerned. How are you adding it?

All of my topoff is limewater. This is the best way to use Kalk IMO.

As for the Buffer. Just say NO! If you add buffer (and no Calcium) to your topoff water your water parameter will soon be out of balance and you Calcium level will stay too low to support corals.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:48 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy
As for the Buffer. Just say NO! If you add buffer (and no Calcium) to your topoff water your water parameter will soon be out of balance and you Calcium level will stay too low to support corals.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 12:00 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy
See an article I posted in this very forum over the weekend on the alkinline/calcium relationship.

Ok its not really an article I wrote. More like one linked to another site.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im lost, is TOW the water from the evaporation, do you just add some more SW? or do i add some chemical?
Old 11-18-2002, 05:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

The kalk I am dosing is pre-mixed with RO/DI water. Its added overnight. I just wondered when I add my gallon of TOW a day could I just mix the kalk with that. This way the tank gets it TOW and its Kalk dose at once.

I am not worried about Calcium, because what I don't get from the Reefformer (Natureef's Kalk ) I get from the liquid Calcite (Natureef) I add once a week. Not to mention I closely monitor all my parameters.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:21 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

TOW = Top Off Water

This is the water you replace do to evaporation. You NEVER add saltwater to replace evaporation as the salt does not evaporate only the water so adding saltwater will rase your salinity. That is about the only time yo uwould add it is if for some reason you wanted to bump your salinity up slowly.

Many people add kalk water as their top off water. Its fresh RO/DI water that has been mixed with kalk powder. Let sit for several hours for the kalk to mix and the excess to settle out of the solution. then it should be dripped into the sump or main tank.

Old 11-18-2002, 05:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

d9hp:
TOW is top off water you add in place of evaporation. Your TOW should ONLY be freshwater. Adding saltwater will drive your Salinity/Gravity through the roof. I add my TOW daily to add to the stability of my Salinity.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

where can i buy this kalk powder, and how much do you use per gallon, how much is a RO/DI unit or can i just use some distilled water from the LFS?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com