top support broken -- is it dangerous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLN

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up a second 55 gallon tank and later discovered the cross piece at the top center of the tank is broken. When filled with water, the split widens as the tank bows out. I have made several attempts to repair it, but it pops apart each time.

It seems to hold OK, but worries me.

Has anyone used a tank with this piece broken? Is it going to come apart?

Thanks

I would say if the "gash" or opening is moving when the tank is full, then the support is needed.
I would get it fixed first before filling it again.

If there was a center brace in your tank then you definately need it. Spend the 30 - 50 bucks now to get it fixed rather than have thousands run out into your floor later. Just my two cents. good luck!

One of my LFS carries new top supports for $19.99. I would replace it, If for no other reason as peace of mind. WHen you say that you repaired it, what were you using? I have one 55 gallon, that the support cracked, and I used a good epoxy glue to fix it, that was about a year ago, and its still holding.

One of our supports broke in the middle, so my husband took a strong piece of acrylic (maybe it was) drilled into it and the support, screwed it together, and siliconed the screws. It's been like that for over 2 years now, and is working fine. You can DIY it for cheaper. But definately needs fixed!

Stacy

You can DIY it for cheaper. But definately needs fixed!

providing you already have a peice this would be ok. If you don't and have to buy it then you may aswell replace the frame. Acrylic around here is $40.00 for 1/4 x 2 x 4" peice.

you can go to home depot and get pieces acrylic of 1/8" x 24"x 12" for about $5. you could get two and double up for extra support but i doubt you would even need thicker than that as long as it's not bending or anything.

you can go to home depot and get pieces acrylic of 1/8" x 24"x 12" for about $5. you could get two and double up for extra support but i doubt you would even need thicker than that as long as it's not bending or anything.

well thats not too bad then. mine only carrys the size i mentiond above.

You can also go to a local glass supplier, and they will sell you scrap pieces of acrylic. Which is more along the lines of what you need, rather than buying a whole sheet.

Stacy

Thanks for the advice. I fixed it, again, but with industrial strength epoxy and rivets. Hoopefully it will hold this time.

Back
Top Bottom