Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Topoff systems - direct connect vs reservoir

Hello all,

I am in the early stages of setting up a 92g reef tank. One thing that is abundantly clear is that I will require an auto-topoff system. Because space is limited under the tank, I am considering plumbing my system directly to an RO/DI system with a timer as a safeguard should the solenoid stick in the open position.

However, recently, I have begun to consider utilizing a reservoir along with a peristaltic pump (which should have no problem pumping from the next room.) My thoughts were that this would make it easier should I decided to incorporate kalkwasser into the mix.

I have 2 questions, is one system recommended over the other? How do those of you that direct connect incorporate kalkwasser?

Interests: Reptiles, SW Aquaria

Old 05-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I am considering plumbing my system directly to an RO/DI system with a timer as a safeguard should the solenoid stick in the open position.
IMO, I don't think you need a timer for this. Using a float valve will stop the water from overfilling the sump and typically can handle a fair amount of pressure. In the case that your solenoid does fail, the only result would be continous waste water production.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I use a reservoir for my set up. I normally don't have more water in it that my sump can't absorb. I don't want any messes. I have a 2 float valve set up as well to kill the pump if the water gets to high but I want to be safe.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have decided to proceed along the lines of a direct connect setup. I am going to implement a pressure switch with a float switch backup. This will allow the water to drop 1" so when the RO/DI kicks on it will flow long enough to build pressure an maintain effectiveness. Also, for additional safety, I found the following that I will put inline. Its a water alarm designed for refrigerators that will switch off the solenoid if triggered.

https://www.thewateralarm.com/produc...=6&idproduct=7

Tags
stem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com