Torch coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lifter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my torch coral for over two weeks and its starting to not look healthy. My LFS said my water is fine and i did a water change on monday. My tank gets is cool in the morning time 72f but in the afternoon goes up to 81f. I bought a chiller and i am waiting for it to come. What should i do until it comes? Also do you think its the heat fluxuation thats making my coral look bad?

Hi

Torch corals from what I have read have a temp range of 74 to 83.

Your temps sound like a pretty big swing to me plus your temps go pretty cold!. Rather than chill, why not keep heater to 80-81 range and keep all steady. Salinity should be 1.024-5-6, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, Nitrates somewhere below 40ppm, and temps nice and steady at about 80-81.

In the ocean the temps dont swing near that rapidly because of the huge mass of water. you can help the coral by attemting to duplicate it's natural environment.

I have a 7gal minibow on my desk at work and it fluctuates from 76f in the morning to 80f in the day. I am worried about that, but I think you have bigger problems. Torch corals like to be around 80f, If the warmest your tank gets is 81f, I would put a heater and set the thermostat to around 78f. 72f sound too cold for them. Keeping it consistent (and closer to 80f) would make him a lot happier.

I agree with all that ihas been said here, but would also like to know your other water parameters as well as what else is in the tank with it.

snapcrackler said everything I was going to. 9 degrees daily is *way* too much of a swing - you want to keep that to a 2-3 degree swing, max.

I'd get on the phone asap, and see if you can cancel that chiller purchase. 81F is not a bad temp, heck, I pay electricity bills through the roof all winter so I can keep my tank at 78F - 80F. 72F is MUCH too low for a reef tank.

Also do you think its the heat fluxuation thats making my coral look bad?

Could be - what are your calcium & alk levels? pH? Nitrate, phosphate, salinity? ... what kind of lighting do you have, where is the coral placed, how much water flow?

My LFS said my water is fine

Make sure you own your own reliable and accurate test kits, so you can monitor your levels and know when something is off. While there are *some* good, ethical, knowledgeable LFS's out there, they are certainly not the "norm".

HTH,

I was just curious, what have you been feeding the torch coral?

I know the temp lately hasn't been the greatest around California lately, our tank gets a bit hot at times too we usually lift the hood and I take a floor fan and try to position it towards the tank so it will get more air to cool the tank down, like they all said above, we keep the heater set at 80 so that it won't fall below that. I hate running the air conditioner especially with how high the Edison bill can get but it's worth it to keep your aquarium cool or at the temp you need. Good luck with your coral hope it gets better soon! :)

Thank you for all your replys! I am sad to say i don't have my water parameters. i was just taking my water to my LFS and they say everything is fine. Im going to buy a test kit after work today and ill have them for you.

Just remember, the place to save money, is not typically on your test kits ;)

I recommend Salifert kits, many use Seachem kits with good results.

Back
Top Bottom