Torch coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have an aussie orange torch about 7-8 inchs below my 24" quad T5HO light. The tentacles are all turning white and losing there color. I have a frog spawn the same distance and it is fine, as well as two hammer corals lower in the tank and doing fine.

Is it possible that I am bleaching the torch? Again, it is 7-8inchs below 96w of T5s. Any other thoughts on what is going on?

Readingexcalibur said:
So I have an aussie orange torch about 7-8 inchs below my 24" quad T5HO light. The tentacles are all turning white and losing there color. I have a frog spawn the same distance and it is fine, as well as two hammer corals lower in the tank and doing fine.

Is it possible that I am bleaching the torch? Again, it is 7-8inchs below 96w of T5s. Any other thoughts on what is going on?

Try bringing it down and see what happens. My torch is about half way in my tank.

image-4038139278.jpg

Mine has been on my sand bed and about 15" from my 6 60" T5 HO lights and it's doing great. It's only been 2 weeks so I might be speaking too soon, but I agree with convict, might want to move it down. I've seen those Aussie orange torch corals at my LFS and they're quite unique and beautiful, but pricey! Wouldn't want a piece like that to die :(. Hope all goes well!

I agree... Imo lps don't need as much light as some people may think. If I go over half way up in my tank with most lps I lose a lot of color and bleach some too.

150$ for a single head, so yeah, don't want to lose it haha. I moved it down to the sand bed an will slowly move it up. I am using ATI bulbs that are brand new. 3 coral plus and 1 blue plus, also have 28watts of actinic high par LEDs. Bad pic, but It screams orange!

Attachments

• image-1979928230.jpg
    image-1979928230.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 152
Readingexcalibur said:
150$ for a single head, so yeah, don't want to lose it haha. I moved it down to the sand bed an will slowly move it up. I am using ATI bulbs that are brand new. 3 coral plus and 1 blue plus, also have 28watts of actinic high par LEDs. Bad pic, but It screams orange!

Wow that's a pricey torch coral lol hope it starts thriving for you cause a large colony of that would be stunning (and a gold mine lmao)!

My aussie pink hammer on the ground and bi-color hammer high up are doing great, guess the torch just isn't happy. I'll let you all know! Thanks! And yes, lol, gotta eventually make money back somehow.

Attachments

• image-1933097024.jpg
    image-1933097024.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 152
  • image-3447877353.jpg
    image-3447877353.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 172
Readingexcalibur said:
My aussie pink hammer on the ground and bi-color hammer high up are doing great, guess the torch just isn't happy. I'll let you all know! Thanks! And yes, lol, gotta eventually make money back somehow.

Wow!! Stunning!!

Yeah my LFS had one w/ several heads each being $75, so a $300+ piece is a huge investment. Did you photo acclimate it or just put it in that spot?

emkbass said:
all other corals looking healthy? No bleaching on any of the other ones?

May just be too high. Can you move it down for a week and see if it starts looking better?

Everything else if fine, I also have two squamosa clams doing great on the sandbed. Never had bleaching before...

obscurereef said:
Yeah my LFS had one w/ several heads each being $75, so a $300+ piece is a huge investment. Did you photo acclimate it or just put it in that spot?

Wow! Yeah, pricey indeed! I love the aussie lps. Getting a war paint Scoly next week. You know, I didn't photo acclimate because it came from under halides and I just assumed my T5s would have less PAR. I may have thought wrong here...

Back
Top Bottom