torch coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That doesn't look like a torch coral. I think it's either a hammer or a frog spawn. Here's a picture of my torch.

Attachments

• image-3189216270.jpg
    image-3189216270.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 142
Ya seems like a good price to me. The torch I got was $15, I think they typically run a little cheaper than hammers. Unless its a metallic torch, those things are awesome!

Searchin said:
Ya seems like a good price to me. The torch I got was $15, I think they typically run a little cheaper than hammers. Unless its a metallic torch, those things are awesome!

Nice, good deal then :). I just looked up my hammer on liveaquaria and it says hes aggressive :(

So the rule of thumb is to give hammers, torches, frogspawn and galaxy coral about 6 inches of space between them and other coral. They can develop sweepers that will sting others. I have seen galaxy coral do this, they are the ones to watch out for. I've never seen either of my torch or hammer develop sweepers. However my torch has got really well extended and grabbed hold of a mushroom which looked like hell for a week after ( only one tentacle got to the mushroom and only for a few seconds, since I was watching and quickly separated them) I've actually never looked into whether or not the other three really do develop those sweeper, but I thought I read that somewhere once. Either way, all of them have a pretty powerful sting so they could have issues with other coral types. Hope that helps, how big is ur tank? What other coral do you have? How is the spacing currently?

Searchin said:
So the rule of thumb is to give hammers, torches, frogspawn and galaxy coral about 6 inches of space between them and other coral. They can develop sweepers that will sting others. I have seen galaxy coral do this, they are the ones to watch out for. I've never seen either of my torch or hammer develop sweepers. However my torch has got really well extended and grabbed hold of a mushroom which looked like hell for a week after ( only one tentacle got to the mushroom and only for a few seconds, since I was watching and quickly separated them) I've actually never looked into whether or not the other three really do develop those sweeper, but I thought I read that somewhere once. Either way, all of them have a pretty powerful sting so they could have issues with other coral types. Hope that helps, how big is ur tank? What other coral do you have? How is the spacing currently?

Thanks that was helpfull, My tank is 60 gallon and i have, 1 rock of blue mushroom, i rock of red mushroom, 1 rock of green mushroom, polyps, bubble coral, open brain coral, favia, and hammer :) heres a pic of spacing

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130524_225617.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130524_225617.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 107
  • ForumRunner_20130524_225631.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130524_225631.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 111
Awesome! I think ur spacing should be fine, just watch them when things get close to the hammer. Where did you get those mushrooms? They are really nice! I especially like the blue ones. If you like mushrooms you might consider some ricordea mushrooms, here's a picture of some that I'm eager to get.

I've always been interested in the bubble coral too, doesn't it change at night or something?

Attachments

• image-3375201618.jpg
    image-3375201618.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 142
Searchin said:
Awesome! I think ur spacing should be fine, just watch them when things get close to the hammer. Where did you get those mushrooms? They are really nice! I especially like the blue ones. If you like mushrooms you might consider some ricordea mushrooms, here's a picture of some that I'm eager to get.

I've always been interested in the bubble coral too, doesn't it change at night or something?
Thank god the spacing is good lol. I wanna add more coral though lets see what i do aha. I got them at my lfs :) heres a closer pic. I love the bubble coral yea i just looked at the bubble and is full of tentacles aabout 1 1/2 inches long. Ohh those are awesome!!!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130524_230402.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130524_230402.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 100
Very nice! The other thing too about the hammer, frog, and torch. I think they are ok with other types... For example there are tons of different types of torches, I don't believe that they sting each other so having more than one kind is ok the have next to each other. I think that rule applies to all three. I would double check first but if you grow fond of one of them it might help with space.

Have you thought about a birdsnest?

Thank god the spacing is good lol. I wanna add more coral though lets see what i do aha. I got them at my lfs :) heres a closer pic. I love the bubble coral yea i just looked at the bubble and is full of tentacles aabout 1 1/2 inches long. Ohh those are awesome!!!

Just a heads up. I had a bubble and a pearl coral and my Tangs devoured them.

I have had tangs for many years and have never seen them eat a polyp. That's why I was surprised. I have seen tangs attack algae growing on dead corals, but not that one.

Back
Top Bottom