Torch Coral Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanderson417

Aquarium Advice Activist
My torch completely destroyed my pipe organ coral. I thought I had them separated a good distance, but it wasn't enough. My question, can I place any coral somewhat near my torch coral? Is there anything it won't sting? Maybe my mushrooms? Thanks!

Yeah, some mushrooms like Lavender/green hairy mushrooms would probably tolerate it better, but they will fight back and forth, inhibiting each other a little. Some corals can't handle the sting at all. I lost a saucer sized of of Red Montipora once from a sting. Other corals like Hammer too, would tolerate it, but not an optimal situation for either.
I put my really large Torch up high, all by itself after that!

View attachment 83368

Isolation!

Thank you. I also have my large torch in isolation up top. I sort blocked him off, but he got around my brigade and still killed my pipe organ.

That sucks, sorry to here that. Funny too, I've got a dead pc. Of Monti between my Hammer and a big leather right now too. Hopefully it doesn't do the same thing! Good luck

All my mushrooms moved back about 2" all the way around my green torch. It sends out sweepers all the time that are almost 6" long. Nothing seems to want to mess with it.

Same as Greg's, my mushrooms receded away from my torch. And the near edges looked shriveled and dark.
But there is a light at the end of the torch coral tunnel! Torches will generally attack anything nearby but are fairly peaceful with other euphyllia corals such as hammer and frogspawn.

Wow, really? I had hoped to put a frogspawn next to my torch, but I have read conflicting reports: some say they will live peacefully and others reports say no. Have you successfully done this or know of someone who has had done this successfully? Thank you for your response.

hammer, torch, & frogspawn will not sting each other. they live in pretty much harmony since they're all the same family. Once I had an acan munching on the sweeper tentacle of my hammer & it just split lol didn't think they were serious when they said give it 6 inches, but it's true.

I really want a branching hammer to complete my Euphyllia set. LOL
They're some of my favorite corals, so I want all three.

I really want a branching hammer to complete my Euphyllia set. LOL
They're some of my favorite corals, so I want all three.

Give the branching hammer TONS of room. mine went from being about 3 inches in diameter to nearly 6 in the 3 months I've had it. it's now plating like some SPS do, it's crazy.

Yup. All euphyllia should be given lots of room. My frogspawn generally stays within 3 inches of it's skeleton, but sometimes I see 5-6 inch long sweepers out. I had to move a couple things to prevent them from being stung to death. But they're so cool it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom