Torch head w/ stem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeGio

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone

Quick ?
First coral. Friend gave me this one piece. If I place in tank wedged between coral will it attach itself or do I need to use glue?

Attachments

• image-1360109147.jpg
    image-1360109147.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 139
I would be sure he can get really good flow. If you need to glue him down to get him into the open, that is what I would suggest.

Gregcoyote said:
I would be sure he can get really good flow. If you need to glue him down to get him into the open, that is what I would suggest.

Ok I could move him out a little more into open. He is wedged into the little piece live rock. Would he attach himself to sand bed?

My 1st coral so ANY advice would be awesome.

No, I don't think he will attach to the sand. While it might be a okay temporary location, It needs to be a stable attach point or it won't allow itself to fully deploy. Remember it gets blown around a lot, so it needs a good anchor. These guys can be attached using epoxy putty that can bought at the hardware store, just look for "safe for potable water sources."

Gregcoyote said:
No, I don't think he will attach to the sand. While it might be a okay temporary location, It needs to be a stable attach point or it won't allow itself to fully deploy. Remember it gets blown around a lot, so it needs a good anchor. These guys can be attached using epoxy putty that can bought at the hardware store, just look for "safe for potable water sources."

Ok I will go to fish store and pick up coral glue. Can u guide me how to attach?, should I take coral and live rock out of water and just glue together?

MikeGio said:
Ok I will go to fish store and pick up coral glue. Can u guide me how to attach?, should I take coral and live rock out of water and just glue together?

Yes, it is about that simple. Find a good place on the rock where the stem can be wedged, pat everything as dry as you can easily get it and let the glue firmly anchor it.

Gregcoyote said:
Yes, it is about that simple. Find a good place on the rock where the stem can be wedged a bit and let the glue firmly anchor it.

Ty for the help

Ok so I bought the original super glue and glued the coral to a small live rock then placed the rock on a big piece. Does it look ok here and does anybody have advice on this glue?

I've uploaded a pic

Attachments

• image-3247622760.jpg
    image-3247622760.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 109
MikeGio said:
Ok so I bought the original super glue and glued the coral to a small live rock then placed the rock on a big piece. Does it look ok here and does anybody have advice on this glue?

I've uploaded a pic

I think the gelled super glue is better, but looks like you're all set for now.

Gregcoyote said:
I think the gelled super glue is better, but looks like you're all set for now.

I left out that it was the gel, it is. Sorry should have been more specific. Hoping he opens up, as of now he has been pretty small. Thanks again for the advice.

Gregcoyote said:
No problem...let us know how things go.

Things are ok, except I have shrimp, a dwarf blue hermit that keep bothering him and then he gets really small and takes hours to open up.

Any advice on that?

They might be attracted to dead tissue or algae growing on the torch. You could put some plastic mesh around him, but don't disrupt light or water flow.

Gregcoyote said:
They might be attracted to dead tissue or algae growing on the torch. You could put some plastic mesh around him, but don't disrupt light or water flow.

Is it normal for it to shrink up like that and just leave it alone and he will grow?

When irritated or at night they will pull almost all the tissue back into the stems. It will come out if conditions are right and he adjusts.

Back
Top Bottom