Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2004, 12:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Great aquascape!!
Yeah the shelf rock looks perfect.

I'll let everyone know what I am doing next week. Setting up the tank this weekend and hopefully adding rock next week. I'll drop some photos for you.

75 gal RR Oceanic with AqualightPro (2x150 watt HQI + 2x96 PC)/ 90# LS /90# LR/ Wavemaker

30 gal Refugium/RemoraPro & Mag 3/ 5# miracle Mud/ 10# LS. Light pending
sipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought my LR in two shipments. I started with 90 lbs of LR from www.premiumaquatics.com. I got a mix of Marshall Island and Tonga rock. This rock had great shapes and a lot of coralline growth. After that, I bought 30 lbs of Gulf Rock from www.liverocks.com.

The Premium Aquatics rock had very few hitchikers but looked great. The Gulf Rock was not quite as interesting, but the hitchikers were amazing. I find new stuff every day.

I was very happy with both purchases and think that a good combo like this is the way to go.

tripper

Old 12-30-2004, 02:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

tripper, thats my plan too, but I might try reefermadness

75 gal RR Oceanic with AqualightPro (2x150 watt HQI + 2x96 PC)/ 90# LS /90# LR/ Wavemaker

30 gal Refugium/RemoraPro & Mag 3/ 5# miracle Mud/ 10# LS. Light pending
sipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 02:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Have fun with it.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Well I am going to be a bit different and suggest you buy all your rock from LiveRocks.com :P

I purchased 40 lbs of Keys rock there and the quality is increadible. Unlike many aquacultured Liverocks, this rock truely looks natural. Plus, by supporting the use of aquacultured products, you are encouraging the responsible care of our environment.

I will be purchasing another 20 lbs of keys rock very soon.

check out my gallery to see just how awsome this stuff really is.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was worried about the "density" of LR.com, too, but when I got the rock (120 lbs) I was very pleasantly surprised. I would say that about half of it is sort of ordinary shaped--fairly regular all around. But the other half has really interesting formations, including a couple of almost branching pieces. All of it has numerous nooks and crannies. It looks way better, in all aspects, than any of the Pacific rock sold locally.

I'm trying to get some pics of the rock in my gallery, but I haven't had any luck for some reason.
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:12 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Zack
I want to stress this the this point on density. Our rock in many studies has been proven to be just as or a tiny amount more then fiji rock. Numbers that have been seen are 99.2 pounds of keys to 100 pounds of fiji. There are countless posts of people talking how their Fiji rock had such little life, it may have looked good, but the life was very poor. I hope this helps to clear up some confusion and but it into perspective.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't give OceanProAquatics a shot. I have purchased rocks from both OceanPro and Liverocks.com. I'm glad I went with both. Granted the rocks from lr.com is by far the nicest I've seen, the gulf rock from OceanPro is a deal that I couldn't pass over. I live in California and drove out to Chino to pick up the rock. It was the 2nd to the last box left, and I still got great rock; lots of hitch-hikers and not much die-off. The guy was extremely helpful and friendly.

If you have the $$, then go for a variety from lr.com. But if you want to save a buck or two and diversify, go with both. I bought rock from 4 different places and I'm happy I did. My tank looks like a kaleidascope with the many colors and shapes of the different rocks. JMHO.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:40 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Here's a shot of my LR.com rock just after cycling and being added on top if some Fiji that was in the tank for about a year. Right now they look about the same.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 11:26 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just ordered 30 lbs of gulf rock from liverock.com. I can't wait until is comes. WOHOO!

55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, liverock, rock, torn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com