Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2004, 06:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Torn between where to buy LiveRock

It seems every step presents a myriad of options to which there is no definitive answer.

I will be buying some LR from LR.com due to the enormous support of our sponsors, but given its density I thought buying some fiji or other type would also be good.

Calfo's book suggests that LR should be from the pacific, not aquacultured nor any base rock.

It seems there are millions of places to order from:

www.liverocks.com - dense rock with lots of growth & hikers
www.oceanproaquatics.com - massive deals
www.liveaquaria.com - Lack hikers, but great caribbean shelf and deals
www.etropicals.com – haitian rock very light
www.ebay with Jean_Pool for haitian rock
www.reefermadness.us - tons of types (can I buy from a place with this name?)

Whatever I buy I'll let everyone know, but does anyone have bad experiences with the above. I bought 50 lbs 10 years ago, but can't remember the store's name, but it was in florida and the rock was nice eventhough it had a hungry mantis shrimp included.

75 gal RR Oceanic with AqualightPro (2x150 watt HQI + 2x96 PC)/ 90# LS /90# LR/ Wavemaker

30 gal Refugium/RemoraPro & Mag 3/ 5# miracle Mud/ 10# LS. Light pending
sipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I purchased my rock from LR.com. It was a purchase of keys rock, gulf rock and base rock. I chose this combo for a reason. The keys has the coralline colors, the gulf has the abundance of life and the base rock is cheaper and easily seeded by the other types. In my opinion even the baserock looked great and all the rock now has coralline growth. Contact Zack from the sponsor forum for liverocks.com and he could explain a whole lot more about the benefits of their rock.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll second LiveRocks.com -- Awesome rock and Awesome customer service!

The base rock was not available when I ordered, so I mixed keys and gulf. Great combo. The keys rock is beautiful and the gulf has tons of life... I find new creatures everyday!
Old 12-29-2004, 10:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I doubt you'll find any LR with the life that you get with LR.com.
Not to mention the quality of the Rock itself.

I have never seen LR at any of my LFS that has the Coraline growth that LR.com has. not saying you cant find it somewhere but LR is top notch for sure. Plus it's just over 5 bucks a lb shipped to your door. I've seen LR that wasnt as good quality for 8 or 9 bucks a lb. Rip off.

Good Luck

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:25 PM   #5

I definitely will be purchasing from liverocks.com, but I also think some fiji or other rock would be nice to seed with different organisms which I must buy from a different source. Preferably one that also has Live sand, too.

Figured I would buy 20-30 lbs LS to go with my 100 lbs. caribsea fine sand and cc.

75 gal RR Oceanic with AqualightPro (2x150 watt HQI + 2x96 PC)/ 90# LS /90# LR/ Wavemaker

Old 12-29-2004, 10:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

your tank should look sweet.

Post up some pics when you get it set up.

I have some pics in my gallery from when I first added my LR.com

My Tank looks 100 % different today, I need to post up some recent pics myself.

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got 30 pounds of gulf rock from lr.com and love it and would recomend it over fiji. If i would of known i would never of bought fiji. I highly recomend lr.com!!!! HTH
Old 12-29-2004, 11:25 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

LiveAquaria.com used to be Flying Fish Express (bought out by the Drs.). I got my first batch of rock from them (Fiji) and strongly recommend it.
ReeferMadness was started by ex FlyingFish employees and they re-sell Walt Smith LR so expect quality there too. This is great rock with good coralline growth but without hitchhikers (generally). You'll probably find some sponges, pods and worms. Over time you can expect many other life forms to emerge.

LR.com has the most hikers and is very nice rock. Not all hikers are welcome in a tank (opinions here vary).

There's no reason NOT to use Base rock. I got 50 pounds of CaribSea base rock from thatfishplace.com to use under my LR. The parts that are visible are indistinguishable from the rest. It's on sale now for $39.99 for a 50 pound box.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:11 AM   #9

Thanks. If you look at reefermadness website it is impressive once you get over the name. The tonga kaelini looks great. Liveaquaria seems good also.

I just flushed oceanproaquatics off my list because I emailed them with a question and arrived at their FAQ page which is full of complaining customers wanting their money back and saying the rock arrived as rubble and quickly lost color, etc.

I am planning on having a channel between two LR mounds, so I need more showy rock and that is why I am avoiding base rock. I figure I'd buy the longer curing stuff first and top it off with LR.com and their hikers later.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I would take lr.com keys rock over Fiji anyday.
If you want a little diversity though, find some Carribean shelf rock. I have about 150lbs of it in my system and it is great for the animals. It is less dense and has a ton of little caves, and little rooms inside of it.
You can see it in my gallery, look for the pictures of my tank, it is the rock on the left and the right side of the tank on the bottom.
LR.com is the best stuff though.

Tags
live, liverock, rock, torn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com