ToT Aiptasias.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

match55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can't sleep well tonight and woke up at 5:30, so I went down and check my fish tank, spotted another 2 aiptaasias (size about 0.25inch)
that rock has star polyps on it and I don't wanna use any chemical,
waiting to get my pep shrimps and hopefully will take care of them.

the questions I have now r:
is it ok to put that rock to my sump?
will the aiptasias travel through my return pump and spread to my main tank?
should I put the rock in a seperated tank, and wait for treatment?
I heard that pep shrimps only take care if the small ones, will 0.25inch aiptasias too big for them OoO?

omg stupid aiptasias......
I don't mind to keep them, but since its not safe for reef....
ToT i m sry aiptasiassss

Thanks guy

IMO it's best to get rid of them as soon as you find them. It's really hit or miss as to whether or not the peppermint shrimp will take them or not. If it were me I'd get them out as quickly as possible. The longer you wait, the higher the chances of them spreading is.

Almost two months ago I saw one aiptasia that hitched a ride on some LR I bought cured from the LFS I used to cycle my tank with. I took a syringe, filled it with concentrated lemon juice, and injected just a little bit into the stem of the aiptasia. It was difficult because it was small, and towards the bottom of my 150G tank, hidden within the LR, but I got it, and I haven't seen any aiptasias since. I have no inverts in my tank at all (except for a slug I found living in another piece of LR, I named him Sluggy: http://www.adamhorton.com/files/sluggy.jpg )

There are two types of peppermint shrimp, the cold water shrimp which hails from the waters of California that don't eat aiptasias and the warm water shrimp which are from the caribbean which are the ones that will eat them.

There are two types of peppermint shrimp, the cold water shrimp which hails from the waters of California that don't eat aiptasias and the warm water shrimp which are from the caribbean which are the ones that will eat them.

woo thats great info, gonna look for the caribbean one XP

to adam: u actually took it out haha~ cute~
to neil: is it ok to put in my sump or seperated bucket?

my brothers tank has a pretty bad aiptasia problem and they have travelled down into the sump so id think that that would mean that they could travel from the sump to the tank

Only if they regenerated from being chopped to pieces from the return pump impeller. Sliding down the drain tube is easier than making it thru the return pump I would imagine

Back
Top Bottom