Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2007, 07:12 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Great minds think alike I guess!!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ziggy I wont be able to post a picture of the set up...I think I have figured out what happened.

And Hara... I do not think its your job to make me think things are rosey..I know they are not otherwise I would not have asked for help... I was just hoping to get some reassurance that things were going to be okay as I was totaly stressed about it. I guess I am just very concerned for my fishes well being.. Your right I am new at this and I am well aware that SW is much less forgiving.

I have done another water change now.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
Saltwater is much less forgiving. No one ever believes us when we tell them that.
Learning the easy way is no fun! j/k
Grim reefer I think we've all been there one way or another. The people who are successful are the ones willing to accept their mistakes, correct them, and listen to the advice of those who've "been there, done that". The learning never stops w/ reefs, there is always something new. I think you are on your way, hang in there.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I second what Mike said!!!! Hang in there and keep coming back here with questions!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you Ziggy and MT79.

I am thinking that because I have only been able to run my skimmer for a couple hours a day for the last week this has had a huge impact as it used to run 24/7. I put some PraziPro in my tank because one of my anthias had a fluke on him and its reef safe...I had to only run it when I was able to supervise it because the prazipro made my skimmer go nuts and filled my collection cup in 1/2 hr. So I am hoping that this could maybe be a contributing factor. I am now starting today able to run it on alot drier skim without the cup filling up so quickly. We will see if this helps..I did a water change tonight and the skimmer will be running 24/7 will test the water again tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That is a good possiblity.....but what Hara and I said about adding more LR still holds true. Your filtration just can't keep up with your bio load. Heck since you have the tank going you could easily get some dry base rock and it will become LR and help your filtration!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have always planned on getting some more LR but my LFS does not get it in all that often and I am not wanting to order online. I have no idea where the LR will go because my tank is pretty full..the rock I have in there is super porous so big pieces that weighed next to nothing. He is getting more in next month hopefully. So will work at getting this ammonia down so that there is no fatalities.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's the skimmer. The whole idea behind a protein skimmer is that it removes the dissolved organics before they become NH4, NO2, or NO3. If you turn the skimmer off, they become NH4 in the tank. The bacteria in the tank haven't caught up to the ammonia spike yet.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Grim, don't give up. We do all make mistakes. I've killed quite a few things and made so many errors it's unbeliveable! Everyone does it. Like everyone else said, you just have to learn from them and move on.

That said... I'd definitley leave your skimmer on 24/7. That should help.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:01 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you all...this is exactly why I love this forum..you are all so helpful..I feel alot better now that the skimmer is running..I thought of this after..my tank has not had any fluctuations and I know its new but this totally baffled me. So when I started to think of "what changed" that was the only thing I could think of. My skimmer takes alot of crap out of the water so I guess now that its not been running all that crap is in my water..

I still plan on getting more LR for sure when my LFS gets it in but I had to bandage the problem for now until that happens...

Once again....thank you all.

Grinning Grim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com