tough bright green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,
I am getting rid of my cyano, but i have this bright, almost neon algae that is stuck on the glass. I mean i cant get this stuff off. I even took the scrubber part of the mag-float and was at it for about five minutes, but it wouldnt come off. it is covered all of the edges of the tank and a few spots on the back. What is this stuff. These are the recent events in my tank. Three days ago i have been doing daily water changes w/ IO; i put in my first doses of calcium and supplements with Kent Marine Nano Reef.

TIA

It is green coralline algae (calcerous algae). It is GOOD sign. Usually this happens to me before I get an explosion of purple coralline.

but how come this is happening after two years of my tank running. Did the rise in calcium do it? This stuff was under the cyano. If it is coralline, how long should it take to become purple?

Here are some pictures of the algae. Sorry, they might be a bit grainy. Firewire's not at its full potential these days. But you could make out that neon green color. Is this the same stuff you have before you got coralline?

Attachments

• algae_003_0001.jpg
    algae_003_0001.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 188
  • algae_004_0001.jpg
    algae_004_0001.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 190
  • algae_004_0002.jpg
    algae_004_0002.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 222
If water parameters are not right, coralline algae will not grow so it is very possible to just start seeing this after 2 years. It is a calcerous algae so it needs proper levels of both calcium and alkalinity to grow. It takes the calcium (Ca++) and alkalinity (CO3-) from the water and lays down calcium carbonate (Ca(C03)2)...this is why it is extremely difficult to remove.
Phosphates can greatly inhibit the growth of calcerous organisms, including coralline algae. So if your phosphates had been high and now are low, a coralline explosion could have resulted. Adding the calcium supplement could have also encouraged this stuff to go. HTH

Yes this is exactly the same stuff I get before an explosion in purple coralline. From my experience, this stuff will eventually turn all purple.

Back
Top Bottom