Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Good questions! I will add on to it, how big is your tank?
temp flucuations effect larger tanks less then small tanks!
I think you meant that the other way around? It takes less time for my small tanks to change in temperature than it does my 220. Lol

Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha not mine! The 2.5 betta tank changes temperature very quickly, but the larger tanks are more at a constant temp... Depends where you live i guess!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Ooops. My bad. Read it wrong. Lol. You are right. I had the same idea just my brain isn't functioning in 90 degree weather. Lol
Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrays4
Hi that is an amazing story Did you actually do anything to the tank whilst the power was off? Such as water changes wrap the tank in a blanket or used an battery air pump? Also would you regard your tank as well understocked? Also did you feed your fish during the power outage? Hope you don't mind me asking as it may help others to know what you did in case they have a power outage.
Great questions! I did cover them in a blanket for two reason's, 1) to help temperatures as much as possible (doubt it worked since it dropped to 60 at night) but to also try and prevent as much evaporation as possible since I didn't want to top off directly to the tank without the power heads operating. Thus another reason I didn't do any water changes. I also didn't feed since my fish go into hiding during darkness. I didn't want the food to sit and rot and cause an ammonia spike. If I had a battery air pump, I would have used it but in this case I didn't. And as far as over or understocked, I would say it is probably understocked for the Bio load but over stocked since my tank isn't large enough for the fish I have. At least once they grow anyway. It is only a 55 gallon. So in all, the only thing I did do to the tank was try and raise the heat as much as possible during the day by opening window curtains and covering it at night to prevent much of a drop in temps.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com