Tough fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
I must have some of the toughest fish! Recently we had experienced very high winds. The outcome of that was the power being out for 4 days. During the 4 days, the temperature dropped to 32 degrees at night and up to 80 during the day. My tank fluctuated between 65 and 70 degrees. In addition, there wasn't any water flow whatsoever. I was certain the only thing to survive was going to be the bacteria. Surprisingly nothing in my tank died. Nothing. None of the inverts nor any of the 4 fish I have. I'm impressed!

Its mainly a predator tank. I have a lunar wrasse, a single spot foxface, a blue damsel, and a Niger trigger. I also have in the tank 5 nass snails, a Hawaiian feather duster, 3 large hermits and a couple unknown snails. Everything survived this mess!

Wow dude that makes me want a 1 spot foxface even more!! Haha they much be very healthy fish, good job ;) im happy that they all made it!

Those are definitely some of the tougher fish out there, species wise. That's really cool!! Nice to read a story about crazy survival, and not wasting away, for a change.
Good luck in the future, but you sound like lucks already on your side!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha ya thats awesome! How you like your foxface??

The foxface is awesome. It brings some great color to the tank and aside from the first day, it isn't very shy. At night it turns to a camouflage pattern and its colors darken. Its really cool.

Hi that is an amazing story(y) Did you actually do anything to the tank whilst the power was off? Such as water changes wrap the tank in a blanket or used an battery air pump? Also would you regard your tank as well understocked? Also did you feed your fish during the power outage? Hope you don't mind me asking as it may help others to know what you did in case they have a power outage.

Good questions! I will add on to it, how big is your tank?
temp flucuations effect larger tanks less then small tanks! :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Good questions! I will add on to it, how big is your tank?
temp flucuations effect larger tanks less then small tanks! :)

I think you meant that the other way around? It takes less time for my small tanks to change in temperature than it does my 220. Lol

Haha not mine! The 2.5 betta tank changes temperature very quickly, but the larger tanks are more at a constant temp... Depends where you live i guess!

Ooops. My bad. Read it wrong. Lol. You are right. I had the same idea just my brain isn't functioning in 90 degree weather. Lol

stingrays4 said:
Hi that is an amazing story(y) Did you actually do anything to the tank whilst the power was off? Such as water changes wrap the tank in a blanket or used an battery air pump? Also would you regard your tank as well understocked? Also did you feed your fish during the power outage? Hope you don't mind me asking as it may help others to know what you did in case they have a power outage.

Great questions! I did cover them in a blanket for two reason's, 1) to help temperatures as much as possible (doubt it worked since it dropped to 60 at night) but to also try and prevent as much evaporation as possible since I didn't want to top off directly to the tank without the power heads operating. Thus another reason I didn't do any water changes. I also didn't feed since my fish go into hiding during darkness. I didn't want the food to sit and rot and cause an ammonia spike. If I had a battery air pump, I would have used it but in this case I didn't. And as far as over or understocked, I would say it is probably understocked for the Bio load but over stocked since my tank isn't large enough for the fish I have. At least once they grow anyway. It is only a 55 gallon. So in all, the only thing I did do to the tank was try and raise the heat as much as possible during the day by opening window curtains and covering it at night to prevent much of a drop in temps.

Back
Top Bottom