Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2005, 09:05 PM   #1
zacdl

Trace Element Chemicals

Anyone use them? Any good?

I was thinking of getting something that has plankton in it, so they get their food and trace stuff all at one shot (do they make this?)
Old 05-22-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the kent essential elements occasionally but you really don't need them as long as you do regular water changes. I use zooplex and phytoplex in my blender mush home made food.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
zacdl

Cuz I was planning getting an anemonae earlier and then just feeding it plankton, and maybe some hunks of meat once in a while.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anemones get most of their nutrition from the lights with only occasional feeding of shrimp or scallops, etc. If you try to feed plankton just because of an anemone, you are going to have problems with algae, cyano, and other excess food problems.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Trace elements, suppliments and plankton are all entirely different things. As mentioned, there is no need to does trace elements or additives if you do regular water changes. In fact, it is very easy to over-dose some of these elements which will cause you problems.
Quote:
Cuz I was planning getting an anemonae earlier and then just feeding it plankton
this is not a good idea. As kat stated, they derive most of their energy from light. You should not purchase an anemone if you do not have the appropriate system to care for the animal. Plankton will do little to help this animal and will only foul your water.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Darn lando, you beat me. Trace elements are no where near the same thing as plankton. Traces are like vitamins....plankton is actual food.
Typically only the large reefs with tons of corals require trace supplementation...water changes take care of traces in smaller systems.

Before adding an anemone, the tank needs to be stable for at least 6 months. Since it takes a few months for a tank to truely stabilize, you're looking at 9-12 months for a typical time frame before you want to add an anemone. You must also make sure you have sufficient lighting. Even a BTA should be given 2-3wpg, so it can produce it's own energy from teh light, requiring less hand feedings from you.

Also I think anemone's eat food larger than microscopic plankton. I see photos of clown fish feedign bits of mysis shrimp and krill to anemones.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:33 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I use kent`s essential elements. I use less than the directions call for.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use ken't reef starter kit to speed up the croaline algae process. I'm slowly cutting back on dosing now since the coraline algae is starting to spread around the tank.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

where do you get the ken't reef starter kit. and how well do it work.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought the reef kit at Petco. It seems to be working well for my tank so far especially since my tank is only 5 months old. You can also get them individually at Petsmart as well. Just follow the directions so you won't over dose.

Tags
chemi, chemical, chemicals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com