Transfered from 65gal to 125gal. I think i missed judged some things...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joester2k3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently moved all my fish substrate and 60lbs of live rock over into my new 125gal setup. My thinking was since this bioload was fine in the 65 It should be fine in the 125. Was i wrong on thinking this? I have been watching my corals and they have been doign fine then i noticed my Xenia acting funny.. and when that happens something not right. Im afraid that since the amount of water has increased my live rock is now un able to filter that amount of water?

I am having a rise in my nitrates quickly. As well as it looks as if my ammonia has moved up as well. My fish and inverts are still acting fine but I have a bad feeling about this. Should I go purchase more cured Live rock tomorrow to try and help the load or am I doomed?

The 65gal had been cycled 3 years ago and everything was fine.... =/

Hope you can help

Did you reuse the sand? If so it probably caused a mini cycle. You should get more Rock though. Doesnt need to be live. Just a few lbs of dry rock a week will do. Even taking a year to get it will be fine. You could do a PWC to lower the Ammonia.

You probably stirred up some nasties that were lurking in the old substrate. It is best to use a cup or two of your old substrate and toss the rest. Water volume is not going to effect your bacteria (additional bioload would do that). I would suggest frequent PWCs to bring down the ammonia.

Alright I have tested the water 3 ways now to make sure that im not putting ammonia in the tank. The more i realize Even after testing my well water and distilled water and fresh salt mix. my test kit to my eyes is showing .1 ammonia which it is impossible or all those to show that.. distilled wouldnt have that. Do test kits expire? lol I think my only problem is a higher than normal phosphate level and nitrate level than im used to. Ill start picking up some more live rock and hopfully will help me out. Im more relieved now that i see the test says that with all waters from different places.( fresh water, tank water and even from distilled water) Just strange that it would show .1 on all those tests... Maybe time for a new test kit...

Thats what must be going on cause i tested nitrates again and its 5 like it was all week.... I think my test kit is going. Im gonna get a new one. But im still gonna follow your adive guys thanks for the help :D

Back
Top Bottom