Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Transfering tanks?

If i wanted to transfer my 30 reef into my 40, what would be the steps in doing so? Thanks!!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

-Make sure u have 20 gal water mixed
-Break it down into buckets keep fish and inverts in a bucket with no live rock (so they don't get pinched or scraped)
-Liverock in bucket with tank water
-Save at least 20gal water
-if you are going to save the sand u may want to rinse it out if not discard
-set up liverock in tank ( don't set up all right away just the pieces in the bottom, u want them on the glass so they ate good and sturdy).
- rinse new or old sand or whatever substrate u use
-Put sand in bottom of tank
-now you can add water slowly (the pour it in on the rocks do disturb the sand as little as possible, makes it easier to see the tank a bit while aquascaping)
- while filling you can add the rest of your rock
- set coral in where you want it
- make sure tank temp is within1 degree of fishes water temp and then let them back in the tank

Start to finish should take a few hours. It is normal for water to be cloudy at first , it should settle down within a day

Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeffanman
-Make sure u have 20 gal water mixed
-Break it down into buckets keep fish and inverts in a bucket with no live rock (so they don't get pinched or scraped)
-Liverock in bucket with tank water
-Save at least 20gal water
-if you are going to save the sand u may want to rinse it out if not discard
-set up liverock in tank ( don't set up all right away just the pieces in the bottom, u want them on the glass so they ate good and sturdy).
- rinse new or old sand or whatever substrate u use
-Put sand in bottom of tank
-now you can add water slowly (the pour it in on the rocks do disturb the sand as little as possible, makes it easier to see the tank a bit while aquascaping)
- while filling you can add the rest of your rock
- set coral in where you want it
- make sure tank temp is within1 degree of fishes water temp and then let them back in the tank

Start to finish should take a few hours. It is normal for water to be cloudy at first , it should settle down within a day
Thanks man!! Couple questions..

My light fixture is 30" but the 40 gallon is 36" how can i make that work?
Should i get new sand you think? Does it hold any BB?
Do i have to re-acclimate the fish to the tank?
So i need 20 seperate gallons of mixed, then all the water i have stored for LR and fish/coral?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well for the light ..... Have u seen macgyver? Be inventive strap it to your hood hang it from ceiling whatever does the trick and keeps it from falling in the water ......ps that would be bad

The sand does hold BB but it also holds alot of detritus so if it's a fairly new tank I may just rinse it, if it's a few years old id opt for new.

U only need 40 gal of water to fill ur tank prolly more like 35 after sand and rocks.

As far as acclimating fish back into tank.... As long as the new water is mixed spot on and there isnt a temp difference I'm sure they will be fine
Old 03-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeffanman
Well for the light ..... Have u seen macgyver? Be inventive strap it to your hood hang it from ceiling whatever does the trick and keeps it from falling in the water ......ps that would be bad

The sand does hold BB but it also holds alot of detritus so if it's a fairly new tank I may just rinse it, if it's a few years old id opt for new.

U only need 40 gal of water to fill ur tank prolly more like 35 after sand and rocks.

As far as acclimating fish back into tank.... As long as the new water is mixed spot on and there isnt a temp difference I'm sure they will be fine
Nice!! Hould i hang it? Maybe add longer legs if thats possible?

Its pretty new, but ill need more of it for my 40! I want a deeper sandbed too because of my pistol shrimp.

I think i got it

Okie dokie! I might just acclimate them all for a little bit..i dont want to shock my buddies!

Tags
tan, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com