Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2015, 12:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This should help, as far as the sump goes.
What is a sump? | Melev's Reef

A fuge is where you put the macro algae or plants and such. The macro and plants eat the excess nutrients out of the water column, or, polish the water for you, with the help of a skimmer.
You can also run a ATS, Alage Turf Scrubber, of which, if it was big enough, you would not need a skimmer.

Marine Depot Blog: How to Install an Aquarium Overflow Box

Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:49 AM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

An ATS is a great form of filtration, I just made one myself. That said, it isn't a replacement for a skimmer but can easily replace a refugium and easily out competes it IMO.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you guys! The tank was running great and the fish where thriving however during the course of a few days one fish died. A week latter I check the water parameters and ran tests,all came out fine. I decided to purchase a yellow tang and the following morning my tank was wiped out! I knew there was a huge risk for doing this switch. I didn't expect such a big wipe out. Literary every fish and invertebrate gone! It occurred to me that I have little red worms wondering around on the sand bed. I continue to leave my tank running while I process new sw for the aquarium. The following day I have an infestation of these red little pests! These suckers grew in size and they are spread out like colonies throughout the sand bed. I do not know what to do or how to even eliminate them. Is there any method of how to get rid of them? They are growing in girth and manage to move in the live rocks. Can someone please help! Sorry for the grammatical errors! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430966846.077402.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	271769Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430966865.537330.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	271770

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-06-2015, 11:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I also posted photos of the tank. I forget to mention my fluval sea protein skimer ps1( GARBAGE) is no longer working. I just purchased a reef-octopus hob 1000-ph Classic. I'm waiting for it to arrive in mail. Any tips on how to properly utilize this skimmer thank you guys!

Old 05-07-2015, 01:16 AM   #15
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

From the looks of it, there isn't near enough rock in the tank. When switching things over and then adding a yellow tang, which shouldn't be in a tank under 6 ft long, you overwhelmed the beneficial bacteria in the tank and basically mini cycled the tank and killed off the livestock.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea, figured that was the issue. I get some more live-rock. How do I eliminate the infestation of this red worms?

Old 05-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #17
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Those red worms are either bristle worms or peanut worms. Do they have 'spikes' or 'feelers' along the side and look like a centipede?
Old 05-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

are you sure about the water parameters?

I seriously doubt that adding one fish would tip the balance to the point of everything dying overnight. If so then the water quality was already pretty bad and you should have noticed by the fish's behavior.
It's very unlikely that was the cause.
If the water parameters were good than I would consider some type of contamination as the culprit.

But in my opinion what happened is that for some reason you didn't get accurate test results and your fish died due to high nitrite levels.
If roughly a week + had passed since the transfer and you did move some bacteria over, but probably not enough if you rinsed the sand, (which should have been done in tank water to preserve the bacteria, not fresh water), you probably encountered a mini cycle and the timing is just right for elevated nitrite levels.

but even then it is very unusual that everything would die overnight unless levels were rather high, and the fish should have been acting ill before you purchased the tang if that was the case.

You should take a water sample to the lfs for testing.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea the yellow tang was acting differently and suddey died. I believe the local lfs (Petco) sold me a sick fish or the nitrates levels where too high. Whatever the problem was, all the fish and invertebrates were wiped out. When I transferred the aquarium I rinse the old sand bed and live rocks with rdo/di. I'd purchased a 20lb bag of live sand. I will run tests after I get out of work. But the problem I'm having is these red worms. I posted several pictures on how they might look. When my fish where wiped, these worms were feeding 😔.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431012719.974909.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	271788Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431012743.235866.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	271789Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431012755.038028.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	271790

Old 05-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #20
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Those are bristle worms. They are beneficial members of your clean up crew. If they get large, they are an easy sign of overfeeding.
Either way, this is a good time to double check the parameters, do a large water change, and SLOWLY work towards rebuilding the population in your tank by doing research on the fish to go in there. The yellow tang has no business in a tank of this size and would have lead to issues in no time.

Tags
fish, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com