Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2015, 01:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Transferring fish

Hello everybody,

I'm currently purchased a 54 gallon corner aquarium (bow-front). I want to transfer my fish I currently have in my old tank to the 54gallon. I heard that you must cycle the water for the new aquarium or you can put water from the old aquarium to provide the fish with bacteria. I'm not sure what is the best solution in transferring fish. Also I'm looking into buying a cpr hob refugium from Dr. foster site( is it worth buying?)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 AM   #2

POTM Champion

I would setup the tank this way. But this is just me. Take as much water as you can from the established tank. Add to new tank. Fill tank rest of way. Add 1 cap full of prime. Start filter. Check levels in a few hours. Hopefully youll getvenough beneficial bacteria from the established water to significantly reduce cycle time. Established plants, wood, filter media can all be added to help reduce cycling time. How much faster it makes it is still a guessing game. Depends on too many variables, I.E... new or established substrate, tap or ro water, if tap whats the tap like in your city, or well or blah blah blah. But stsrting with established tank water helps cut down a lot of time on cycling, but still must be monitored before adding fish in my opinion. Hope this helps a little. Happy tanking!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 AM   #3

POTM Champion

Oh and i say 1 cap of prime because 1 cap does 50 gals.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

One suggestion I always give is to get new sand in the tank. Old sand is a trap for old food and poop. No reason to bring that over. Even rinsing the rock before moving it over in old tank water could be a good idea.
There is almost no beneficial bacteria in the water column. It is in the rock and sand. If you are moving the rock over you will not have to re-cycle your tank.
Just use lots of 5 gallon buckets so you can rinse off the rock and hold livestock while you put the rock, sand, and new saltwater into the new tank. Once everything has settled you can move the livestock in, though depending on how sensitive they are, like inverts as example, you may want to drip acclimate them to the new water.
When it comes to the HOB refugium, for a tank that size I don't think it would do very much. If that is the route you want to go, I would look into a HOB overflow and put a refugium under the tank. Bigger is better and can export more nutrients.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Water does not carry the necessary bacteria to cycle anyones tank. Its the Live Rock that carries the majority of the bacteria.
Remove the sand from your old tank, rinse it really really well, until the water runs clear through it. You can reuse it this way, it won't harm anything in your new tank. Put the sand in, fill the tank most of the way with SW. Grab the rock out of your old tank, let the system run for 3-4 days, this will cycle the tank quickly. Providing you had enough Live Rock in the old tank. Leave water circulating in the old tank for the fish, they will be ok in there for a few days without anything.
Other way to do it is, emtpy the tank water into your bathtub, before stirring up the tank or removing anything. Put a heater in there and a powerhead.
Remove the sand, rinse well. Set up new tank, fill 2/3rds water, add live rock, fill the rest of the way. Add skimmer a heater and powerheads, let run for a few days, then your all set.
If you do not do one of the above, your new tank will go through a cycle, and this you do not want. If it does, and you add fish, you will be chasing your tail with water changes, trying to keep the ammonia at 0.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #6

POTM Champion

Lol. I thought it was abt freshwater. Disregsrd me

Old 04-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, sounds good I was probably going to purchase new sand or crush corals for the new tank. I only have one filter at this time which is running on the old tank. Would it be okay if I transfer portions of the old tank's live rock during the course of several days ? I was thinking of using a power head to circulate new tank .unfortunately My budget can't cover for a new filter( fluval canister)

Old 04-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Don't do crushed coral substrate. Extra food and poop gets stuck in there and can be a pain.
In terms of your canister and powerheads, just move them over from the old tank. There shouldn't be any issues with that.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your going to need the Live Rock to seed the new tank, and keep it from cycling. If you can't get it all in there at one time, for a few days, then transfer what you can at one time. then make sure the rest goes in the day the fish do.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay I manage to clean some of the sand with rdo/di water I'm processing saltwater atm. I already transfer portions of the live rocks in the new tank and left the other in the old tank with live stock. Once my sw is process I will run a few test and put it in and transfer the fish one by one. For the overflow box how to I go about installing a refugium? I don't really understand the refugium set up or how it cleans the aquarium mechanically? How do I go about setting a overflow and refugium to the tank? Thank you all for you help! I will post pictures once complete.

Tags
fish, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com