Transferring live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enervate7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, I was wondering if there's any preliminary steps I must take before adding live-rock from old aquarium to my reef aquarium. I'm assuming the live rock must be decontaminated/ steralize

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

if its live rock just a good salt water bath will do
just to get any loose debris and crud out before adding to the new tank

Just rinse it off with ro/di water?

If you are trying to rinse it with saltwater, why not drain some from the tank, and use it to rinse and add nice new saltwater back to the tank.

Ummm, I am failing to see the problem here.

Assuming the rock is cured and the tank isn't sick all you have to do is pick it up and put it in the other tank. You don't even need to rinse it and ESPECIALLY don't rinse it with fresh water.

If the rock has been allowed to dry then it will need a nice long soak (2 - 3 weeks minimum) in salt water with a powerhead of filter or some sort for water movement.

If the rock is contaminated with diseases such as ich then a bleach dip will do but then you have to go back to soaking it for weeks in salt water.

The rocks been on my other tank that has no fish for several months .I have no diseases or ick. I just want to get rid of my other tank because I have no time to maintain two aquariums with my schedule .

The rocks been on my other tank that has no fish for several months .I have no diseases or ick. I just want to get rid of my other tank because I have no time to maintain two aquariums with my schedule .

Well there you go then. Just stick them right in there

Back
Top Bottom