Transferring Sand from old tank...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevedpepper

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all, I'm going to be upgrading tanks and had a question about my sand. I've had this present tank up and running for one year. I want to use the sand in this tank in the new tank. But will transferring it be harmful to the inhanbitants in the new tank because the sand is not fresh and clean? Also, if I rinse it before I place it in the new tank, doesn't that defeat the purpose of keeping it because of all of the beneficial bacteria in it? What should I do?

You can reuse it. I would highly suggest you take the sand out, put it in a bucket, take it outside and stick a garden hose in the bucket and rinse the sand thoroughly. Rinse it until the water pouring over the side runs clear. This will kill most if not all the beneficial bacteria that was living on the sand, but it will also flush out all the crap that accumulated in the sand. Just taking the sand out and not rinsing it will disturb and mix up all the stuff that settled in it and more than likely cause an ammonia spike. The loss of the good bacteria by rinsing it is offset by the fact the possible ammonia spike from not rinsing it can affect your fish and/or corals.

+1 on thoroughly rinsing in loads of fresh water then a final rinse in RODI. If any doubt is remaining lay it out to dry in the sun. Yes, it will be devoid of all life but it doesn't take long before it's thriving again.

Yep, you for sure want to rinse it before using it again. Moving the sand can muck it up and all the nasties that are trapped in teh sand will be released causing swings in parameters.

I usually just buy new sand for a new or upgrade tank, easier and less trouble in the end. I just got 40lbs of aragonite sand from reefrocks.net for like $20-$25 I believe it was.

carey said:
Yep, you for sure want to rinse it before using it again. Moving the sand can muck it up and all the nasties that are trapped in teh sand will be released causing swings in parameters.

I usually just buy new sand for a new or upgrade tank, easier and less trouble in the end. I just got 40lbs of aragonite sand from reefrocks.net for like $20-$25 I believe it was.

Sometimes I stir my sand to release all that yuck. Could this do the same thing to my params?

Yep, I never ever disturb my sandbed in my tanks. :)

If I use a vacuum I might sometimes barely touch the surface of the sand but I never move it around. Actually, I don't remember the last time i actually used a vacuum in my salt tanks. lol I usually just use a pump to pump water out for my water changes.

If you have proper flow in the tank then you shouldnt see any build up on the sand. maybe some colorful goo under the sand line but thats about it/.

carey said:
Yep, I never ever disturb my sandbed in my tanks. :)

If I use a vacuum I might sometimes barely touch the surface of the sand but I never move it around. Actually, I don't remember the last time i actually used a vacuum in my salt tanks. lol I usually just use a pump to pump water out for my water changes.

If you have proper flow in the tank then you shouldnt see any build up on the sand. maybe some colorful goo under the sand line but thats about it/.

Good to know.

Just rinse the sand in your old salt water fill a 5 gallon pail 1/4 full of sand fill with your old tank water and stir, dump off what floats, scoop sand from pail and place in new tank I did this when i upgraded from a 90 to a 180 and never had a problem

Back
Top Bottom