Transforming FOWLR to Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been thinking about dipping my feet into corals, i have a very well established 55 gallon system, my question is what things do i have to change?

Tank 55 gallon w 30 gallon sump
Salinity: 1.023
Temp: 77 degrees
Filter Media: GFO and Carbon
Skimmer: Aqua C Remora w Mag drive 3
Trace Elements: None I think
Salt Mix: Tropic Marin
Lighting: T5HO 36" light fixture ( Midday geismann bulb 1 Super Atinic geismann bulb) and 1 Atinic Ecoxotic Stunner Strip

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: below .10 ppm

From what I know now I'd have to upgrade lighting, salinity, and calcium, test kits?

You also need to be aware of potential issues with fish you currently stock

If you get coral that needs med. to high light you will need better lighting, i.e. 120 W taotronics led lamps.

If you get coral that needs med. to high light you will need better lighting, i.e. 120 W taotronics led lamps.

If i were to upgrade lighting, for those corals if i added another 2 bulb fixture would that do it? Im thinking about mounting two 2 bulb fixtures in my canopy

The Angelfish is probably going to be a problem with the corals. You can have plenty of corals under T5 HO's. Are your lights high output or just regular T5's?

Scratch that, im thinking of getting two taotronics LED fixtures probably 140w

I don't blame you there. Led is a lot cheaper in the long run. I made the switch to left from my t5 ho's. Those bulbs can get expensive.

I don't blame you there. Led is a lot cheaper in the long run. I made the switch to left from my t5 ho's. Those bulbs can get expensive.

60$ a replacement lol i hear good things about taotronics, never thought i would find led fixtures that didnt cost me an arm and a leg

Yea I got one of the xen-lux led fixtures for my 39 gallon. Its a lot like the taotronics. Its 120 Watt I believe and it has a 39:31, blue:white ratio.

OK. There is a wholesale store that sells them but you can get it on eBay from that supplier for cheaper if you bid it. That's what I did. Let me see if I can't find a link...

Let me know what you get and how it works. I hope to see some pics soon!

Back
Top Bottom