Transportation of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'll shortly be transferring my 3 fish to my new tank, which is a 45min-1hour's drive away, and was wondering the best way of doing this?

I'll be double-bagging each fish, making sure there's oxygen in the bags, and filling maybe 4/5 full with tank water. I'll then place them in a box to keep the bags upright, and cover/pad them all with black blanket, in order to keep it as dark as possible (less stress) and to try and keep the heat in the bags. The heating in my car will also be turned up higher than normal.

Will this be enough? Does anyone have any more tips?

Thanks in advance.

That should be enuf I think. How are you adding oxygen to the bag by the way?

Not got that far yet! I was going to ask the guy at my LFS how they do it (grabbing the bag a certain way so it stays rigid)?

Should the temperate in the bags not drop that much then in an hour if I keep the car heating up etc.?

It will be plenty enough. When people online order it usually takes 24-48 hours for it to get there so you have plenty of air there.

It will be plenty enough. When people online order it usually takes 24-48 hours for it to get there so you have plenty of air there.

How do they usually transport them to insulate the heat etc.? I was thinking of using a freezer bag (warmed to room temp. first), but would prefer to be able to check on them frequently and not have them in a zipped up bag...

I wouldn't fill the bag up that much with water. maybe 2/3 full or so. One mistake when people transport fish is too much water and not enough air.

put the bags in a cooler. this will hold in the temp better (you won't have to crank your heat for an hour) and will solve the light problem with the lid. My LFS is about 45 min away and I don't usually take any other precautions.

When they ship them they put those heat packets or hand warmers in there to keep them warm. I personally dont think they are good but for several hours.

Back
Top Bottom