Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2003, 11:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

trickle filter questions

ok, if you guys have checked out my other topics you know i'm setting up a 110 gal reef/fish aquarium and i,m building most of the stuff by scratch. I have a lot of questionsand i appreciate everything.

my question is, I'm building a wet-dry filter out of an aquarium. what size aquarium do you recomend for my reef/fish tank? I'm wanting enough space in the sump part to place heaters, skimmer, return pump and possibly a refugium return hose (i'm not to familiar with refugiums, so I'm sure that will be anouther topic i'll ask).

I was thinking of using the trickle system with bio-balls.

don't worry about space under the tank because i'm building the stand also (cost effective you know)

thaks so much with your help and patience

mark

Old 10-16-2003, 11:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Bioballs are not recommended for reef setups. They cause high Nitrate levels. This is normally OK for Fish but invertebrates don't like it. This is all based on what I have read on the board though. I have never kept invertebrates.

I am using bio balls in my FOWLR setup but if I ever get more LR, I will remove them. If this is what you mean by fish/reef than it should be ok though. For a reef set up, most go with enough LR and a DSB to handle the filtration and then add a protein skimmer.

Old 10-16-2003, 11:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

so you dont think i need wet-dry?

then just a sump with a good simmer?
Old 10-16-2003, 11:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
If you intend to run invers and corals, I would say no. Just a good DSB (4 to 6") and a large fuge/sump. I have a 72g and I have set up a 20g long as fuge. I had lowes cut glass dividers to separate the chambers. The bigger the fuge the better!
Old 10-16-2003, 11:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

IF you have enough LR and even better, I DSB, that will be your filtration. A good clean up crew will be needed too

Tags
filter, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com