Tridacna crocea clam questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've wanted this clam for awhile now but I'm concerned about the requirements. I don't think I can pull it off with my current set up.....I could place it very high up in the tank (I have about 3.5 wpg lighting) or my other option is to get a 20ish gallon nano with mega lighting-then I'd like to have seahorses in that one. What do you think of this?

First off the 20 gallon tank with mega lighting, IMO is not suitable for keeping seahorses. Seahorses can go blind when exposed to intense lighting and while there is some debate and experimentation on that going on now I think it's best not to risk it.

When you say that you have 3.5 wpg what type of lighting are you using? 3.5 watts of lighting should be enough if you are implementing metal halide lighting.

Hmmm.... sounds like a power compact fixture to me. That may be pushing it a bit although you could shoot for a Dersea Clam. They are easier to keep then either Maxima or Crocea Clams and don't have quite the light requirements. Like you mentioned earlier though it would need a high placement in the aquarium to thrive.

I agree that the lighting will be enough but macman had a good suggestion on the dersa clam. They dont require as much lighting as the others.

sounds like a power compact fixture to me

Oops! Sorry about that....yes, it is a power compact fixture. I have looked at the Dersea clam but they get rather large if I'm not mistaken?

Bean,

Most T. Clams get fairly large with T. Gigas being the largest in the world. Derasa clams get about 1' 10 inches or a little less in the aquarium. That said clams grow pretty slow and are not hard to place as long as they aren't so big they don't fit in the aquarium at all, in your case with a 72 you should be fine.

I agree. A deresa would proably be a better bet with your lighting, but if a crocea is the way you want to go, high up would be ideal placement. Size is an issue you'll have with all of the clams.

FWIW a Maxima would be a better choice than a Crocea w/ your lighting, both are smaller species of tridacnid clams. Crocea are the most light demanding Tridacnid clam, w/ Maxima a close second. Crocea are usually recommended only to be kept under MH lighting. Maxima require high light, I would recomend closer to 4.5-5 WPG. HTH

Back
Top Bottom