Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2007, 08:53 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I like 33 and 45 gallon LONG tanks because of the height. They are only around 12-17 inches tall and longer, which would be near perfect for your setup.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
One of you believed 1 gallon per specimen might not be enough. Do I understand that correctly?
Yes, but based on absolutely no scientific reasons, only that the feeding needs for 30 clams makes me nervous about food waste. I was following up on Lando's mention of similar concern.
Quote:
Keep iin mind that clams of this size rely on heavy nutrients in the water (as well as light) for nurishment. This type of feeding can foul water without the proper filtration. Clams do not contribute to the bioload as fish do. However, the biproducts of feeding them may be an issue.
That's why I also like his idea of a refugium - I'd guess connected to both or all 3, whichever the case. I'd imagine all clams need to be in the same water for the experiment. I guess I'm thinking to plan for 4 tanks in you go smaller since the refugium will give you more water volume which is easier to maintain and not as subject to drastic swings if something is wrong for a bit.

Also, keep in mind that 3 tanks will require 3 sets of lights. More money of course.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Ray's idea leads me another. You might get away with using 3 - 10 gallon tanks with a large sump/fuge. You could use something like a child's backyard pool for the sump. Add a bunch of macro algea and a skimmer for nutrient export.

You could use a single pump spilt off to a 3 way return to the tanks. That would be close to the raceway condition you previously had. Lighting would be easy to maintain on the small tanks too.

The tanks would all have the same water conditions with the only variable being the atmostpheric CO2. I have no idea how you plan to maintain that with the gas exchange going on in each tank, but I assume you already have that figured out.

Hope that helps.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d
The tanks would all have the same water conditions with the only variable being the atmostpheric CO2.
But if only one sump was used for all three, wouldn't that change the variables?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Scott --
The thesis project
Quote:
asks whether elevated levels of atmospheric CO2 suppress the calcification process in certain marine organisms, and valve development of tridacnid clams in particular.
Therefore the only variable should be the level of atmospheric CO2. The water parameters should be the same for all the tanks.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Right I got that part, but if you are running all three tanks back to the same sump/fuge, wouldn't that have an effect on all the tanks, unless I am just way off. You with have three tanks with three variables going into one sump/fuge, would that not effect the experiment? Just curious....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just a Noobs suggestion. You mention putting the Clams BACK in the lagoon once your done. Does this mean you have access to this lagoon?

You could just use water straight from this lagoon everyday and that should really help with the issues of high nutrient water that would result from the feeding. Just a suggestion.

Go Redskins ! Yup even in the UK they have skins fans
Old 05-25-2007, 03:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

It depends on how the CO2 is added to the tanks, and how successful that method is, whether the three tanks can be run off the same sump. Experiment-wise, it would be better for all three tanks to run off the same sump, but I would set up the whole thing and test to make sure the CO2 levels in the tanks are what you want them to be before putting the clams in....if you can maintain the levels you need on one sump, then you're all set. If not, then 3 separate systems, but you're going to have to be really careful to address conditions so that you don't get a confounding variable.

Personally I think 3 -33 gallon long tanks, run to the same sump would be best. If they ahve separate lighting systems you need to check that the amount of light reaching the bottom of each tank is the same (use a PAR meter). if the tanks are close together then it might be necessary to put dividers between them so that the middle tank doesn't end up with more light than the end ones. My lab uses MHs for experiments and we have to shield them because of this.

I am by no means a clam expert but I am a 5th year oceanography PhD student so please ask any and all questions and I will do my best to answer them!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I think I need to use three closed systems because I expect a relationship between elevated levels of CO2 and decreased pH levels for each of the three treatments. It seems that if I use the same sump, elevated acidity would basically contaminate the entire supply.

In any case, the idea of dividers between lights is an extremely helpful suggestion and a great contribution to design integrity. Thank You!

Charley

Tags
clam, clams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com