Trigger compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayaddy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I once had 9 different species of triggers 15 years ago in my 180 gallon tank. They did well together. I fed them krill and chopped up squid. No live food. I only had them for about 6 months and one day I was cleaning some lake perch I cought ice fishing and fed the eggs to my Triggers. Within 15 minutes they all died. I left the salt water and went fresh. I have now gone back to salt and have no fish yet. I would like to do Triggers again.
Is this recommended or was I just lucky they didn't kill each other.
Or what else can I put with a few Triggers. There is plenty of Fiji rock for them to hide in.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

It's not recommended to put that many triggers together, they get large & IMO you were lucky they did not kill each other.

Is this for your 180 & is it a Fish Only or going to be a Reef tank?

If so what about a pair of blue throats (male & female) and a tang along with a few other fish? or a Trigger (mild tempered) & a pair of Bird wrasses along with some other fish ......

Just some ideas............

Kaye

I should also mention ..... Do not feed your Saltwater fish Freshwater Foods.....

Kaye

Yes, as already mentioned, bad idea to have that many triggers. They must have been quite young and you only had them for 6 months, the troubles had not yet arrived, but they surely would have.

Niger Trigger is a nice choice. Some of the grouper family would be colorful, like a miniatus. Wrasses, tangs, butterflies would all be options.

I had a Niger, Undulate, Queen, Picaso, Huma, Clown, Pink Tail, Blue line, and a Blue Jaw.
They were all at least 4-6 inches, the Queen was about 8 inches. I never saw them fight.

Back
Top Bottom