Trigger fish- are they bad for reef tanks and aggressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MatthewSF

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new here and I'm well read up but want to here practical advice on certain things. I got a 270g tank from my parents and have about 30 fish. I love trigger fish and I really want a clown blue and picasso trigger fish but they say there bad for reef tanks and are aggressive is this true

MatthewSF said:
I'm new here and I'm well read up but want to here practical advice on certain things. I got a 270g tank from my parents and have about 30 fish. I love trigger fish and I really want a clown blue and picasso trigger fish but they say there bad for reef tanks and are aggressive is this true

Yes. Very.

Aggressive, yes, but in a 270 gallon it might not be an issue. The more space you have, the less aggressive a fish tends to be. Keeps it occupied exploring. With two, I'd guess you'd want to add then at the same time, but someone with more experience would know more. Now, reef safety...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

And a trigger will mow down on any snails, clams, small fish, or other tasty morsels

I had a picasso in a reef and he never touched a coral. He did, in the first day eat every snail I had though. He ate my entire clean up crew really fast. They have teeth to crush shell so nothing is safe. So he's reef safe with caution as you can have coral but not inverts. He never touched my cleaner shrimp though....

BTW, very cool fish. If I had a 270 I'd throw one in for sure, thats just me though a lot of people wouldn't try. I hear crosshatch is a pretty good bet for a reef....

Yes crosshatch pinktail Niger sargassum etc are best for reef tanks. Good rule is that if they have an upturned mouth they're less aggressive. What 30 fish do you have? Seems overstocked unless they're all nano fish, in which case you wouldn't want a trigger.

I have a 250 mainly trigger tank and I wouldn't trust them with any corals they pick/eat anything i put in my tank.

I agree. I have over the years had many different triggers and several of the forum members keep them as they are a fantastic fish. Just recognize them for what they are...predators with really sharp jaws. Why do I think of Odd Job from the Bond movies with his stainless steel jaw? Anyway...everyone has a tail of the model trigger fish in the reef. But IMO, it is like keeping Moray's in a fire fish tank.

I really like the Bursa Triggerfish. They are just so weird looking. It's too bad most cool looking fish are mean. Someday down the road I might go with a 55 gallon tank and just one of the Bursa Triggerfish in it. Than again I am still working on my one tank. lol
Not having enough money to do all of this sucks. LoL

Hope you figure out if it's worth putting in your bigger tank. Good luck! I seen a lot of youtube videos with them in it with other fish. Mostly their FOWLR Tanks.

55 is too small..... They really swim a lot. My Niger trigger swims more than my yellow tang. 6' tank needed IMHO.

I said might, not really looked into it yet. I got to get the one tank I am doing up and running before I can even think of anything else. The next project after my 29 gallon is not going to be a Trigger Fish, it's going to be a smaller tank for some a pair of Clown fish.

Back
Top Bottom