Trigger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there!
I was wondering if Clown, Picasso, and Niger trigger together in a 150 gallon with maybe a Volitan lion and various smaller fish. Also, I read that Niger, Bluechin, Crosshatch, and Pinktail triggers are peaceful and can be kept in a reef tank. Is this depending on their personalities or are they always thant peaceful? Please tell me some of your experiences with them in a reef tank. Thanks a lot, Wolf

Get tham all at the same time you should be all right the smaller the better
they are so fun to watch when they are ity bity
Feed hem a variety of foods :twisted:

Nigers are not reef friendly... they are fine with snails and crabs (usually) but mine ate my new cleaner within 30 min of putting it into the tank. Also you don't want to risk the niger nipping on the lionfish. I can't say much about the other triggers but from what I hear the nigers are the least aggresive trigger out there and mine still eats shrimp.

Well you can try... he never seemed to go after my peppermint which was in first... although the thing almost always hid... The prob is shrimp typically don't live that long and then you are stuck because the trigger will most likely outlast them...

Just for the record... the trigger is a really cool fish in my opinion. He seams to run the tank. I would never get rid of him but when I upgrade in the next couple months or so he is staying in the 55 and everyone else is moving to a bigger tank. I am not sure if I will buy him more aggressive buddies or just wait for him to live out his life.

He should have at least 75 gallons. I bet it would have worked if you caught him and put the shrimp in and then put the trigger back. Wolf

Wolf said:
He should have at least 75 gallons. I bet it would have worked if you caught him and put the shrimp in and then put the trigger back. Wolf

First off where did you get 75g from? A. a 75 is only slightly wider (not longer) than a 55 and B. 55 is fine for Triggers... They are not overly active. Secondly I don't know how new you are to this but I am relatively new and I know enough not to start pulling fish from a tank just to introduce other tank mates. Removing the fish from it's environment is EXTREMELY stressful. There is no reason other than disease or aggressiveness that would warrant pulling your fish out of their habitat. Also it is HIS home... he knows what belongs their and what doesn't and I am not going to remove him for months at a time til he loses his territorial instinct just so a shrimp can be introduced. I sincerily hope you don't follow the advice you preach. Triggers are aggressive by nature towards inverts. If you don't want an aggressive fish get something else. You cannot "fix" nature... it is instinct.

Back
Top Bottom