Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

triggerfish attack,...

i started to do my weekly water change this morning and discovered my mertensi butterfly fish lying on the bottom of the tank dead with no eyes and a nice bite mark outta him,....last night right before" lites out",. i saw out one of my triggerfish chasing him and giving him a good nip....wow,..i had no idea what musta happened after i went to bed but it had to be brutal....besides that attack last night , my tank life was nice and peaceful,....but on the bright side ,..i think i can get some more mushrooms etc,...he was eating them as fast as i could put them in the tank before...i guess its just another day in the world of the marine aquariums. R.I.P.mr.butterflyfish.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

What trigger fish was it? I have a clown trigger and he's getting to the size where they can "turn nasty" so I'm trying to make sure he's well fed!!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are you housing with the trigger and what kind of trigger is it? They can be extremely aggressive, I wouldn't have had him in a tank with a butterfly.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

i have two triggers,... a picaso triggerfish ( "pyscho") for the most part he is non aggresive to anything but my fingers and a rectangular triggerfish which is the aggresive one, he was the one that was that did the deed.....he has been in a bad mood for the last week or so anyway.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
What are you housing with the trigger and what kind of trigger is it? They can be extremely aggressive, I wouldn't have had him in a tank with a butterfly.
i knew it might be a ganble but the butterfly fish came first,..and after a rough start ,they settled in and seemed to be compatible....then one dark and drury nite,.........
Old 05-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

We have established that the triggers are aggressive, but now the question is what else is in the tank with them. There is nothing to stop them from killing any other docile fish he has. Please research before you purchase a fish moving forward. Triggers are among the most aggressive fish that you can keep.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am trying to determine if it would be easier for him to remove the triggers, or other docile fish. I don't know if the butterfly was just an out of place fish in an aggressive tank or if he has put two triggers in an otherwise peaceful system.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
how do you handle any tank maintenance dont they try to nip your hands when you reach into the tank?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
I am trying to determine if it would be easier for him to remove the triggers, or other docile fish. I don't know if the butterfly was just an out of place fish in an aggressive tank or if he has put two triggers in an otherwise peaceful system.

Check his 'about me' on his profile, he lists his tank specs/livestock
Old 05-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

All Off Topic posts have been deleted. Please keep this thread on topic. In case anyone is mistaken, this thread is not about dogs... it's about fish

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attack, triggerfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com