Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-28-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to Ocicat

If I choose to keep triggers, what am I giving up?

Shrimp? Snails? Crabs? Will the triggers eat those? Will it be hard to keep the critters who'll clean the rocks and the sand and the glass?

Will tangs stick up for themselves if they're big enough? What about clowns?

I love what I've read about triggers -- that they have big personalities and are intelligent. But I don't think I want a tank of all aggressive fish; it seems like it would be really hard to keep clean and healthy. I know some triggers like the blue-throat are more peaceful, but apparently they're also rather shy.

Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know for a fact that they like to eat crabs. I have seen the LFS feed them.

AndyH5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
They will eat most any invert. Other fish vary by each fish. I wouldn't put anything else in the tank that you really want to keep. I'm sure others will post about keeping them with.... for years and they've been fine. I wouldn't want to take the gamble. They are notorious for suddenly going postal.

LittlePuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi as i am new to this forum i wish to first say hello!

triggers can be kept with other fish depending on decor and size of tank. but the most important deciding factor is the species.

if you have the pockets for it keep a TITAN trigger and a grouper or 2
want a nice "community" tank get a huma,niger or picasso and some larger tangs chevron or naso or even large angels
as for the inverts buy a couple hundred hermit crabs.... they wont all be victims. larger inverts wil do fine provided you keep your fish well fed
keep in mind this is what works for me and these are my opinions you dont have to agree-
if you want it we have it!
exotics-yes we have those too!
animalutopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Triggers will nip at pretty much anything worth eating. They will eat coral, anemones, snails, shrimp, crabs. The Niger is said to be the more docile of triggers, but he will nip too. I have a Humu trigger, and was told he is more docile than most, but I still cannot have anything with him besides a very quick hermet crab. I have him with a lion, yellow tang, 2 damsels and a panther grouper.
The bull$h!t stops when we step in the box
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Take it from me..the Trigger will eat crabs. Just a couple of days agormy Hermit was attacked. I'm not sure if it was the Wrasse or the Trigger, but eventually this will happen. Mine had been living together for a year and a half before this event took place.

Ocicat - If you were here, I would give you both of mine for free!

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:58 PM   #7
Triggers are meant to nip and eat crustaceans. They will end up messing with any inverts that you have too.

Speaking of nipping, stay away from white spotted puffers. They would nip at leather ornaments even.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
i had a bursa trigger once. Ate all my turbo snails small and large. Goes for hermits too. They are pretty agressive, killed some tank mates.
nycfatcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
Triggers will go after most inverts including snails and crabs. You can however keep urchins with them successfully. I've also had them with Seahares and larger snails. As far as tangs are concerned, I've never seen a trigger harass one. If you want a more docile type, try the Niger trigger. Good luck!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com