Trimming Zoa colony

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty Fraiser

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Zoa colony that has about 50 percent colorful polyps and 50 percent ugly dull color. My question is can I just use scissors to cut the heads off the ugly ones to let the brighter ones take over? If so, do I need to remove the cut off heads from the tank? Can they cause a problem? Thanks for any advice!!

You will need to take it out of the water to frag it. Make sure to wear gloves and goggles. They release a paly toxin that is quite toxic so it should be done out of the water

You do realize that you are gonna be killing the polyps you cut off right? I don't know, just seems awful mean to me.....lol I couldnt do it, I know that, it would give me the heebies to purposely kill something. even if it isnt pretty lol

Thanks for the replies! Guess that's out of the question. Rocks piled up so high I'm afraid to move anything!!!! Lol. And no mam. I could chop those buggers right off if I could!!!!!

If they're the same type of zoanthids, they could brighten up over time just like the other polyps...I'd say give it time and if not, if you could scrap them off the rock without destroying them, you could relocate them.

I had the same issue with my zoas. They were brown for almost 3 years. They were hitchhiker's I got I some rock from my LFS. They didn't start to grow till I put a T-5 VHO over them. I got an led last week after Carey's advice on a unit. I've been slowly adjusting the intensity over the past week and the other day I noticed that my ugly brown polyps are now starting to turns a nice green. I only used to see that color on some of them under atinc only. Now under day light they're beautiful. I wouldn't get rid of them. Give them time. As Carey put it they are a living animal. That would be like taking an ugly dog to the back 40....lol I also target feed them with a turkey baster. My clowns hog the food so I make sure my polyps get some.

Back
Top Bottom