Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Smile Trine's 28 Gallon Build

Alrighty, went to the lfs today and picked up some corals. So, thought I'd actually start a thread for my tank since it has now survived for almost five months! My potted plants usually don't last that long

This is what I have in my 28 G tank:

1 lil' nemo (wondering if he's going to turn into big nemo at some point in time)
1 bicolored dottyback (brave or stupid - steals raw fish from the arrow crab)
1 green chromie (the first fish - quite hardy!!)
1 yellow watchman goby (still alive - bully for me)
1 fire shrimp
1 emerald crab
1 arrow decorator crab (creepy but cool - has not munched on anything other than the raw fish I've fed it)
1 sally lightfoot (new - super fun to watch)
1 featherduster
hermit crabs and snails galore

Corals:
1 zoa (mad at me and is currently closed)
1 trumpet coral

New corals... well, I'll post pictures. I was whining about the lfs' mushrooms being too big since I only needed a small one. The guy had pity on me and gave me two shroom heads. I think they're both hairy mushrorms. One has green dots and one is maroon/brown-ish with a small green curly thing in the middle. I also got what looks like polyps on stems.... I really need to write down what these things are called!! I'm taking bets on how long these corals will survive

Old 01-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2498432605.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	72671

Dotty is checking up on the new arrivals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2914328698.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	72672   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1955206963.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	72673  

Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sounds and looks good. Any corals you arent familar with just post the pictures and someone should know.

Keep the pictures coming! lol
Old 01-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The polyps on stems are pagoda cups (identified thanks to Mr. X and Melosu58). With the mushrooms I can always just go back to the lfs - I know exactly where he got them from. It will be interesting to see if they'll grow. I did notice this morning that the green-spotted one had moved a little to the side and is now sitting in a hole in the rock. I guess I'll leave it there and see what it does. If both heads grow then that would be fantastic, specially since I they were free
Old 01-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like a good start!
Old 01-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, the tank is going pretty well so far. I'm having trouble with micro-bubbles from my in-tank skimmer, but it's only a week old so I'll remain patient. I also think it's kind of loud... perhaps I need to take it out to make sure it's put together properly.

My fire shrimp molted and is still alive On the other hand, my emerald crab has been extremely still and it looks like it's ready to molt. I hope it is successful because I really like these crabs.

I also filmed a feeding of Ib (my arrow crab), which clearly shows that my dottyback, Blondie, is either brave or stupid. Still haven't decided which Anywho, here's the video http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamTrash07/videos
Old 01-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTrash
Well, the tank is going pretty well so far. I'm having trouble with micro-bubbles from my in-tank skimmer, but it's only a week old so I'll remain patient. I also think it's kind of loud... perhaps I need to take it out to make sure it's put together properly.

My fire shrimp molted and is still alive On the other hand, my emerald crab has been extremely still and it looks like it's ready to molt. I hope it is successful because I really like these crabs.

I also filmed a feeding of Ib (my arrow crab), which clearly shows that my dottyback, Blondie, is either brave or stupid. Still haven't decided which Anywho, here's the video http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamTrash07/videos
Oh my gosh! Lol so funny
Old 01-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know. I love that my daughter is yelling at the fish!!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

So, moved around on some rocks during water change and am pretty happy with the look. Took a few pix. Super excited about going to a large lfs in Columbia, SC on Sunday so I can get a couple of corals and make the tank look less bare
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1305762765.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	73515   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2500433285.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	73516  

Name:	image-3225955485.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	73517  
Old 02-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, my husband is back from Bahrain and is totally smitten with the whole fish tank idea. He's already planning on getting a bigger one down the road and has been looking at plans on how to build stand and canopy

So, we went to the lfs yesterday so I could get some water. Since there was room for one more fish, I let my husband pick one (with guidance by the lfs guy). We ended up with a falco hawkfish (who is playing nice with the other fish) and a prism brain coral frag... allegedly

Tags
8 gallon, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com