Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
Thanks for posting that article. It had a bunch of information in it. I look forward to seeing discussion on the bio balls issue. I personally went with live rock rubble in my aquaclear.

"Only mistakes happen fast in aquariums"
"The solution to pollution is dulution"
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
So my husband just showed me how to clean out the skimmer (apparently he had been slacking a little) so I'll start doing that more often and hopefully it will help.

Regarding the fuge, my current set up involves a separate 8 gallon acrylic tank with a deep sand bed, a ball of chaeto, and a light on 24/7. There is a small pump that sends water from the sump into the fuge and a drilled hole that allows water to trickle back into the sump. I feel like it is so indirect that I'm skeptical that it is doing much of anything. Aren't fuges supposed to be part of a continuous chain of water chambers? Is having a separate fuge good enough? If so I'll add another ball of chaeto, there's certainly enough room for twice as much.

I'm going to start feeding every other day, and straining my Rod's foods. Some of the pieces are so small that the fish have no chance of finding them. The brine shrimp are big enough that I don't think they need to be strained.

Lastly, there is some organic matter that has settled in the sump. I got some out with a turkey baster today but there has to be a better way. I can't use a syphon because the sump sits on the floor in the stand so I can't get below it to use gravity. I can't use a python hooked up to the sink because a) I don't have one and b) I have a septic system and don't dump salt water down the drain, I dump it in the yard. Suggestions for vaccuming out the rest of the sediment? I'm assuming the cleaner I can keep the sump floor the better.

I AM DETERMINED TO CONQUER MY NITRATES!!!! Thanks as always for your help.

sooju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
You can try some plants. They remove excess ammonia, nitrates, and phosphates from the aquarium.In addition, they help remove heavy metals and neutralize toxins. Marine plants also provide a pH buffer and produce chemicals which protect the skin, intestines, and gills of aquarium fish Also, I've used both Purigen and Chemi-pure elite. The combination helps keep my tank below 10ppm. Although I think my next purchase will be a sulfer denitrifier to help get it even lower. You can never have enough stuff to reduce nitrates.

bigdman is offline   Reply With Quote

nitrates, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com