Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Trouble with damsel fish with others in the tank

I have recently been noticing some trouble with my damsel fish. When I first acquired the tank in came with 2 clown fish, 1 green chromis, and 1 yellow tail damsel. So as the time went forward after the first two weeks I went ahead an added another damsel and 2 more chromis into the tank.
I noticed over time that the two damsels would gang up and harass the two new chromis, but not the one that was in the tank first. They have recently caused one of the chromis to die and are not just focusing on the smaller chromis.
I have recently got a spotbreast angel and a cleaner wrasse for the tank and they seem to be doing fine, but I noticed that the damsels where being very territorial towards the fish. At first when I added the fish to the tank the tommy tang was also very aggressive towards the angel, but the wrasse was always next to her to defend her. But the tangs aggression seemed to have passed after the first night of them being in the tank, and has actually become for social with the rest of the fish. But the damsels are still being overly aggressive.
I came home from work tonight to find the wrasse dead with a wound on its side. I suspect that it was the damsels. So should I just get rid of the damsels or is there a method I can try to lower there aggression?

Old 09-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say get rid of them. They are mean fish. Too aggressive to live with peaceful community fish IMO.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would get rid of them. Damsels are just aggressive fish, that usually get worse with age, and they will continue to do this with any new introductions to your tank. IMO, they just aren't worth the hassle.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
I'm trying to get one out of my tank right now. So mad lol.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yeah I'm going to contact the fish store and see if they will take them off my hands and pick up more chromis and another wrasse
Old 09-01-2012, 01:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most stores will gladly take donations, you might be able to get them to knock a couple bucks off their replacements. Good luck catching them, it can be a hassle! Took me 3+ hours to get 2 Sergeant Majors out of a 135 once...
Although Chromis are Damsels too, they usually have a better temperament than most. They tend to pick on their own kind, as opposed to others. In a school of around 5 or more, they tend to gang up on the weakest link of the bunch.

Tags
damsel, tan, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com