Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 130
Trouble with Dosing CA and Alk

Magnesium 1400
PH- 8.2 lights off, 8.4 lights on
SG- 1.025
Calcium 445
KH- 8.0
Biocube 29- chaeto and carbon in chamber 2.

I've been trying to keep KH at around 9.5, but it kept dropping so I kept increasing the dosing schedule on my reefkeeper. at one time it was 9.3, but then it crept down to 8.6, then 8.3, now it's at 8. But calcium is holding at 445. I really want KH to be at 9.5, I have lots of LPS and a new SPS. I am dosing 17.6 ML of each spread out over the day. Calcium during the day, ALK when the lights are off. I dose Calcium in the return chamber, but I dose Alk in front of the overflow because it has more flow (flows into chamber 1, then onto a blue filter floss). some of it goes into the chambers, some of it into the tank. There is a mini snow storm, is that precipitation? Should I dose unequal parts , less calcium? Should I manually bring up KH with the calculator? Is the high calcium level holding the KH low?
__________________

__________________
Eggpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,537
You are causing calcium precipitation on the sump. If you are trying to bring up the alk, why are you dosing calcium at all? What you are doing is pretty counter productive. If you want alk up, just slowly add the alk. The relationship between calc and alk does go hand in hand, but is basically (very basically) managed by mag.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You are causing calcium precipitation on the sump. If you are trying to bring up the alk, why are you dosing calcium at all? What you are doing is pretty counter productive. If you want alk up, just slowly add the alk. The relationship between calc and alk does go hand in hand, but is basically (very basically) managed by mag.

I'm dosing Calcium also because if I don't it will drop. the tank is heavily stocked with coral. Should I stop dosing it until Alk is up to where I want it and then start dosing both again?
__________________
Eggpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,537
What does the tank sit at without dosing?
I ask because you stated it is heavy lps, and there shouldn't be too heavy of a draw on the elements that you should need to dose both.
If you want your alk at 9.5, then you should only dose to reach that level. Once it is at that level, monitor how much it drops in a day. That way you'll know how much to add in a day rather than chasing the number. Keep in mind you want to add slowly as too much can cause issues. I recently killed off several frags by dosing too much alk in one sitting by accident.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,322
Trouble with Dosing CA and Alk

It's a three way see saw effect you are seeing. Hold Mg at 1350 and start dosing more alk solution and you should be able to get stable at 10dkh. The calcium can be adjusted some if it falls, but IMO the alkalinity is the primary target. But as Sniper said, do it slowly as your LPS will really show sensitivity to rapid changes.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
What does the tank sit at without dosing?
I ask because you stated it is heavy lps, and there shouldn't be too heavy of a draw on the elements that you should need to dose both.
If you want your alk at 9.5, then you should only dose to reach that level. Once it is at that level, monitor how much it drops in a day. That way you'll know how much to add in a day rather than chasing the number. Keep in mind you want to add slowly as too much can cause issues. I recently killed off several frags by dosing too much alk in one sitting by accident.

Recently my alk was at 5 before I started dosing. Lost a hammer and frogspawn. I noticed I lose about .5 KH each day if I don't dose. That is why I started dosing in the first place. Don't reef tanks lose calcium also while losing kH? That is why I thought we have to dose equal parts of both.

so should I stop adding calcium for now and raise the KH? Then start dosing both again at lower amounts?
__________________
Eggpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
It's a three way see saw effect you are seeing. Hold Mg at 1350 and start dosing more alk solution and you should be able to get stable at 10dkh. The calcium can be adjusted some if it falls, but IMO the alkalinity is the primary target. But as Sniper said, do it slowly as your LPS will really show sensitivity to rapid changes.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My Mg is at 1400. Is that ok or should I let it fall to 1350?
__________________
Eggpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,322
Trouble with Dosing CA and Alk

It's okay. Just don't add anymore Mg if you were dosing it.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,322
Trouble with Dosing CA and Alk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggpaul View Post
Recently my alk was at 5 before I started dosing. Lost a hammer and frogspawn. I noticed I lose about .5 KH each day if I don't dose. That is why I started dosing in the first place. Don't reef tanks lose calcium also while losing kH? That is why I thought we have to dose equal parts of both.

so should I stop adding calcium for now and raise the KH? Then start dosing both again at lower amounts?

The problem is they interact with each other. As I mentioned earlier, the most lethal aspect is low or too high alkalinity. Get that where you want it by varying the dosing ratios. They do not have to be added equally. Then establish a dosing regime that strives for stability.

This is a super common problem with heavily stocked tanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
The problem is they interact with each other. As I mentioned earlier, the most lethal aspect is low or too high alkalinity. Get that where you want it by varying the dosing ratios. They do not have to be added equally. Then establish a dosing regime that strives for stability.

This is a super common problem with heavily stocked tanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just thought it's more common to dose equally. I'll follow your advice, get alk to 9.5 and dose accordingly. seems the calcium dose needs to be lowered so ALK can rise.
__________________

__________________
Eggpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dosing, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cal and Alk dosing? Clownfish25 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 6 02-08-2013 06:51 AM
2 part dosing trouble bavass Saltwater Reef Aquaria 10 02-03-2013 06:06 PM
Dosing Strontium, Mg, Ca, Alk Floyd R Turbo Saltwater Reef Aquaria 8 12-15-2010 06:25 PM
alk and ca levels before dosing steve r Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 11 12-15-2004 11:33 AM
Alk Dosing Options? stresco Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 07-11-2004 03:03 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.