Trout as a suitable fish food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonForce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I caught a bunch of rainbow trout today in socal at lake mission viejo. Anyways, I realised I wont be eating it all and was wondering if you guys think it would be a suitable natural food? TIA.

Don't feed it raw. It's not treated for pathenogens or bacteria that can make your aquarium fish sick. You have a reef too so IMO, it's best not to feed it at all. Cooking oils used to cook fish would contaminate the tank. It would make a better catfood...LOL.

Not sure what the difference is between catching them and buying them at the store to make blender mush :?:

Brenden...

The food at the grocery store is meant for human consumption. It is cooked before eating (except sushi...yuk) so is not required to be treated for pathenogens and bacteria that would make us sick if we were to eat it raw like aquarium fish do.

Always better off buying fish for fish at a fish store.

I am quite certain none of the salmon, cod, or halibut at my local albertons is cooked. I just thought it would be interesting to feed them a little treat once in a while.

I just grabbed a nice chunk from some rainbow trout I have had in the freezer for about 3 weeks. I wanted to see if the cleaner liked it so I held a peice just under the surface of the water. The next thing I know, the cleaner comes flying to the top of the tank and steals the entire chunk of food out of my hand then proceeds to stuff the whole thing infront of his face. You should see how rediculous he looks. A big peice of food just stuffed by his mouth area like it's his last meal.

DragonForce said:
I am quite certain none of the salmon, cod, or halibut at my local albertons is cooked. I just thought it would be interesting to feed them a little treat once in a while.

No they are not cooked, but do you eat them raw??? No. You cook the fish when you are ready to eat it. Cooking destroys the bad bacteria in fish. It's your choice to risk putting it into your aquarium.

Good treats will be those intended as treats for fish...like cyclopse and thawed out frozen fish foods and zooplankton.

IMO/IME, and many others on various forums, feeding blender mush consisting of raw seafood from the market is safe. Freezing it before feeding will help assure this. I've read a lot of post, along w/ my own personal opinion, and it's not a good idea to offer SW fish FW food products ie. trout. I'd advise against it.

TCTfish said:
The food at the grocery store is meant for human consumption. It is cooked before eating... so is not required to be treated for pathenogens and bacteria that would make us sick if we were to eat it raw like aquarium fish do.

Always better off buying fish for fish at a fish store.
Frozen fish foods are not cooked. So what do they do differently to kill the "pathogens and bacteria" our fish are susceptible to as compared to raw seafood meant for human consumption? :?

Back
Top Bottom