Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

True Bulb Anemone questions?

My Bulb anemone is getting close to my corals will he hurt them? How do you get your Clown to go into it? How do you know when it is hungry? One last one How long will it keep moving around my tank?

55gallons, emperor 400 hang on filter, 150watts heater, Coralife 256watt light, 60 LB Live Sand, 43 LB Live Rock, ProClear Aquatics Pro 150 Wet/Dry Filter with Skimmer, 12 Blue Leg Hermit Crab, 2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp , 1 Algae Blenny, 3 Green chromis, 3 Peppermint Shrimp, 4 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab, 3 Emerald Mithrax Crab, 1 Porcelain Anemone Crab, 1 Feather Duster, True Bulb Anemone, 3 Ocellaris Clownfish, 15 Margarita
Snails, 2 Nudibranch, 6 Astraea, 5 cerith snails and 1 Japanese Pistol Shrimp. Updated 02/02/06
Choas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

My corals are the Pumping Xenia.

55gallons, emperor 400 hang on filter, 150watts heater, Coralife 256watt light, 60 LB Live Sand, 43 LB Live Rock, ProClear Aquatics Pro 150 Wet/Dry Filter with Skimmer, 12 Blue Leg Hermit Crab, 2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp , 1 Algae Blenny, 3 Green chromis, 3 Peppermint Shrimp, 4 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab, 3 Emerald Mithrax Crab, 1 Porcelain Anemone Crab, 1 Feather Duster, True Bulb Anemone, 3 Ocellaris Clownfish, 15 Margarita
Snails, 2 Nudibranch, 6 Astraea, 5 cerith snails and 1 Japanese Pistol Shrimp. Updated 02/02/06
Old 01-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

My anemone stung my pulsing xenia very briefly last night and it DIDN'T like it. It shriveled and turned really dark like a rasin. Then just this morning started to recover.
Towards the bottom is a pic of the results this morning after a partial recovery.
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/...ad.php?t=20497
Old 01-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My Bulb anemone is getting close to my corals will he hurt them?
Hard to say. I really depends on the type of corals. My BTA has never bothered any of my corals. Xenia is not likely to win any toxic warefare battle.
Quote:
How do you get your Clown to go into it?
You don't. It is really up to the anemone to "invite" the clown. Some symbiotic pairs occur very quickley in the home aquarium, some take longer and some never happen at all. You just never know.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

The anemone seem to be moving away slowly. The reason why I ask about the clown is because they will get to about a 3 inches away from it. Now do you have to hand feed it or will it filter feed? The pet shop I got it from hand feed it. Krill Shirm freeze dried. I have tried that and it seems not to take it from me.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I put a small thawed piece of scallop on the end of a wooden skewer and feed it that way - about twice/week. The tentacles grab it and stuff it in it's mouth. Also, when I put frozen (Hikari) mysis shrimp in there (which are much better than krill) they stick to the tentacles and are eaten with vigor. All the fish love those.
You could use clams too. Just chop them up in small pieces and freeze the rest. Thaw the pieces as needed in a cup of water from the tank. I just dump the water after I'm done - I never put it back in the tank, but I wouldn't think that is a problem.. just my preference. Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Now do you have to hand feed it or will it filter feed?
Anemones are not filters feeders. They will capture their food from the water column. You can target feed it every once in a while but it is really not needed (or recommended). It should get what it needs at tank feeding time providing you are feeding a meaty diet. It will gain most of its nutritional needs from your light. I have never had the need to directly feed any of my anemones.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

if your anemone is moving around the tank a lot that is a sign that it is not happy. Your lighting may be on the low side for an anemone in a 55 IMO.
How long have you had it? what type of water are you using? what are you water parameters.

Feeding one or twice a month is fine if you have proper lighting. how close to the light can the anemone get? is the LR up high in the tank for

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had it for 1 week and a half. R/o water and all parameters are 0. 256watts PC light

Tags
anemone, bulb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com