True or False ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJFly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If you have a female True Percula and a male False Percula will they eventually form a pair?

T + F = Mated Pair :?:

No. You need two of the same. A percula and A ocellaris are different species and will not mate.

If you get two very small clownfish of the same species, there is a good chance they will become a mated pair.

Cheers
Steve

Occationally a Percula and Ocellaris will form a pair, even mate, but it's by no means a sure thing.

I disagree but can you elaborate? I would like to research this further.

Cheers
Steve

The Percula X Ocellaris hybrid is a very interesting looking fish. They generally have a LOT of white on them, often even connecting the normal white bands. I believe the offspring are sterile.

I have also seen Maroon X Ocellaris hybrids.

to quote: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence "

Actually it's very common to pair two different species. There are even ocellaris x maroon clown hybrids. There are pics to prove it on RC

Wow, I was expecting something more dramatic, looks alot like a regular ocellaris. Thanks for the link bang guy.

Ture and False

Well, to keep nature in a correct context, I put the false in my 37gal. It has already taken to my frogspawn as a host since the bubble tip has a mated pair of Tomato Clowns as guests.

I bought the Misses a new Mister (true percula). She didn't like him during the day, then when the lights went out, they're friends. It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

Some like the True Perc better than the False Perc...IMO the False Perc looks better cause the orange is brighter and the lines are more defined between the black and white bands. I wonder if that is a regular occurence saltwater fish cross breeding that way. I know trout do it in streams, it's some times to the detriment of the species though.

Bang Guy said:
to quote: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence "
LOL.. I was simply looking for something tangible to read. :wink: No worries. I have since found a few snipits but nothing major. Thanks though.

Cheers
Steve

Did you want a link to the percula x maroon hybrids? They also have stubby percs these days.

steve-s said:
LOL.. I was simply looking for something tangible to read. :wink: No worries.

No worries :) I just thought you would find that amusing! :D

My favorite is the Perc X Ocellaris. They look very nice.

Re: Ture and False

JJFly said:
Well, to keep nature in a correct context, I put the false in my 37gal. It has already taken to my frogspawn as a host since the bubble tip has a mated pair of Tomato Clowns as guests.

I absolutely agree with Steve that you are asking for trouble adding more Clownfish to a tank containing a mated pair of Tomatoes. It's only a matter of time before the female Tomato kill one of the other Clownfish.

steve-s said:
If you get two very small clownfish of the same species, there is a good chance they will become a mated pair.

Cheers
Steve

I bought to Ocellaris's to start out my tank, one of them died about 3 months after I got it and the other was alone. So after seeing it swim around all by itself for about 2 months I decided to get it a mate.

As soon as I added the new Ocellaris it swam over to the other one and haven't been apart since, where there is one, there is the other. :)

You can also get them odd sized, one larger and one much smaller although it's not always a "smooth" transition. Getting the two smallest you can find makes it easier on you and them.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom