Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2003, 01:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

True percs fighting?

Our first fish we put in our 25 gal was a true perc, pretty small. He was in there a couple months by himself, but then we added a firefish. Well my girlfriend thought the true perc needed a friend so we went out and bought another true perc, slightly bigger. After acclimation etc, we put it in. at first they seemed fine, then a minute later the new one swam down and greeted the other and they started to swim side by side. they did this for about a minute when they all of a sudden started to lip lock with each other, and just kept doing it. im assuming this is some way of fighting cuzz i dont think true percs will kiss each other. now we have the newer one in "time out" as my girl friend calls it. will they always fight each other, or will they calm down and get along? i just dont want one to kill the other. any advice will help. thanks

Old 12-19-2003, 06:59 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

They are trying to establish dominance. While unlikely, it is possible that you have two females. If this is the case, one should be removed. Whenever you add one clow to a tank with an established clown, the new addition should be markedly smaller than the first, this will reduce the possibility of two females.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah two Female Percs in a tank is a bad Idea.. Just think of it like the second perc showed up at the party and saw that someone else was wearing the same outfit.. It's badddddd...

Doan
Old 12-19-2003, 05:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

so most likely they are both unsexed and trying todecide which is to become he female? I hope that is the case. i dont think they are both females because they are both pretty small. should we just keep them in there and see what happens, move one to a different tank, or both of them to a bigger tank? we want them to both be in the smaller tank but if its better to put them in the 60 gal we can. thanks again for your help.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't believe moving them to a tank will help, they will hash out their roles in either.....and if they are two females they will continue fighting no matter what the size. I think it is impossible to tell if they are two females, you will just have to watch closely to see if the fighting stops. If not, you will in all likelihood have to remove one of the clowns.

About how big are they?
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

one is about an inch - an inch and 1/4 and the other is about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch bigger. they dont seem tobe fighting as much any more, at least that i see, so hopefully they are calming down a little.

Tags
fight, fighting, rcs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com