True Percula clown vs False Percula clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattt6511

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello i wanted to buy a mated pair of clowns but whast the difference between the true percula clown and the false percula clown???? Are they ok fish hardy and all?? i have damsels now but once my tank has been running for about 2 months i wanted to get a mated pair of clowns. :D

I don't really see a whole lot of difference between the two. The true percula has a little different coloration and gets slightly bigger in most cases but that's about it.

Add some more live rock if you can. IME clowns and damsels don't get along a whole lot when there's not a lot of hiding places. It'll let each one establish a territory and help you water out too.

Two different species, A. percula (true) and A. ocellaris (false). A. percula normally has a bit thicker blacks bands on the outside of the white and a different number of spines on its dorsal. A. ocellaris seems to be a little bit hardier IME and also seem to be the least demanding in regards to pairing and spawning conditions (I believe my ocellaris would spawn on the carpet if I kept water poured on them).

Per your other thread, just get two of the smallest clowns you can find and they will eventually form a mated pair in all but the rarest of cases.

Back
Top Bottom