True Percula feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambo64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was talking to the guy at my LFS about true perculas and he said that you should feed them twice a day. Once with frozen herbivore stuff and once with frozen shrimp. Does this send like to much? Also is there ever such a thing as to much flow in your tank for fish?

I feed every other day with no ill results. I think feeding a clown twice a day or even once a day is too much. That much feeding can result in excess nutrience in your tank and cause cyano and algae outbreaks. As for flow, if they are being blown all over the place, that is too much flow.

sounds like your LFS wants to sell you more food :)

It is not necessary to feed even every day, much less twice a day. Most people here feed every other day because if you feed too often it will definately foul your tank (ie, high nitrates, phosphate, etc.) and then you'll have algae issues.

I have pretty high flow in my tank and my fish just like to play in the current. The only time I would be concerned is at night when they are resting, but If you have an area with caves, etc. they can still rest there.

roka64 said:
As for flow, if they are being blown all over the place, that is too much flow.
:lol: too true. As long as you provide rock or other hiding spaces where the flow is milder so they can rest having good flow is more helpful then harmful for FO/FOWLR.

If you have corals then too much flow can have an negative impact if they are slow to medium flow corals so research coral needs and match flow.

On average tank turnover of 15-20 times is fine i.e. a 55 gal tank with flow of 825-1100 GPH.

Dr.Nate said:
sounds like your LFS wants to sell you more food :)

He probably wanted to sell you that food also didnt he. Every other day is fine. Flow is good but as with all things there is such a thing as too much. If they are getting battered then it`s too much.

I seem to be one of the lone few here that feed every day. (Just once a day though.) BUT, I only have one clown in my tank at this point and it's pretty easy to just drop food in bit by bit until he's done eating. As long as my water parameters stay perfect, I probably won't change. At least until I get another fish in the tank!

Regarding what to feed the clown, my rotation of food is...

frozen mysis/small Formula 1 (omnivore) pellets/frozen mysis/Prime Reef flakes

... and then I repeat the cycle. Occassionaly, I throw in some frozen cyclopeeze with the mysis. Just last week, I picked up some of the flake cyclopeeze and use it with the Prime Reef flakes. The only "greens" he's getting is in the Formula 1 pellets. I've often wondered if he needs more "green" food, but he devours everything and has always been healthy and growing really well.

Regarding too much flow, I started out with too much. I had a nice chaotic pattern going and didn't have any quiet spots. Even my caves were getting blasted. I removed one powerhead, and now have about 10x turnover - neglecting skimmer flow. Everything seems fine. Just use some common sense when judging your flow and not just go by the numbers like I initially did. If it seems like your fish can't find a quiet place to call home, then you've probably got too much flow. And remember... if you're going to have multiple fish, you need multiple "homes!"

i feed mine at least once daily, i dont think its too much, but no one else seems to share my opinion

Back
Top Bottom