Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Trying to add a new...

I would love to add a new clown if possible. I have about a 5 year old maroon clown that has been the only one in the tank for the span so it's a large female. I was wondering if I could add a small ocellaris clown to be her mate. Could I do so? And how would I go about doing it? Thank you for your input!

Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

IMO, the existing clown is known for aggressive behavior. Unless you remodeled your tank to displace the current pecking order and add more than one additional clown, in my opinion it won't work.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
IMO, the existing clown is known for aggressive behavior. Unless you remodeled your tank to displace the current pecking order and add more than one additional clown, in my opinion it won't work.
I was afraid of that. I'll just have to wait for my larger tank if I'm going to add more than one. Thank you for your input.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

have to agree with greg
all I can see is WWIII
and a tank torn to bits
sorry
Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your maroon will murder a Oc clown even in a larger tank if your going to add one make it another maroon at least half her size or smaller make sure there's hiding places for the new guy were she can NOT get into as he will need these safe houses until she accepts him.
Take her out and then add the new, give him a few days to find the safe places then add her and monitor closely. Good luck

PS. how big is your current tank?

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was lucky I guess. I added another Maroon after I bought a older one. About 2-3 yr separation. Had no issues, even share the nem's. Hit or miss I guess.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It really is. Too many variables. But in general, this is the most aggressive of the damsel fish, next to the Garibaldi. I had a tomato clown that would have tried to knock me out if he could have,
Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
It really is. Too many variables. But in general, this is the most aggressive of the damsel fish, next to the Garibaldi. I had a tomato clown that would have tried to knock me out if he could have,
Yeah, the bigger one I bought is really docile. The lil one was a terror. Killed 4 of my buddies fish. I said I'd try, not a flinch, a peep, or anything. Went up to the big girl and followed her to the RBTA... Lol.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a six month old Cardinalfish. I noticed at my LFS they had baby Cardinalfish. They were so small they can fit lying down on a quarter. If I got them, would you think there would be any aggression? I had two 3 or so months ago. Does that make any difference?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezkk
I have a six month old Cardinalfish. I noticed at my LFS they had baby Cardinalfish. They were so small they can fit lying down on a quarter. If I got them, would you think there would be any aggression? I had two 3 or so months ago. Does that make any difference?
What happened to the second one you had? These fish school, so a few is okay, but in large groups it isn't recommended. I didn't find them easy to keep but everyone has had different luck with different things. They are classified as an easy species to keep that are not for a aquarium full of aggressive fish, like mine.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com